What's new

Asus RT-AX86u Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laptop

Regular Contributor
Posting new thread. I hope it ok if not please more to my other post,

Asus RT-AX86u Pro bought about 2 weeks ago.
Have not be able to setup wifi successfully.
Lan is ok after st least 3 levels of elevation uth tech support . I need to complete there last questions from my last email.
But thought I would ask and update my experience so far.
Can get 2.4 G wifi but no 5 G . The 5G shows up in network connections and but does not connect.
I have verified all settings and password with tech support and myself. Have deleted and setup different 5G networks but still the same no connection issues.
I am getting about 333 mbps with the lan cat*5 and about 50,mbps wifi 2.4 G.
I double checked with isp and they down graded my service from 1 Gig to 500 mbps, they said in January. Don't know why as s the price went up anyway and they want more $$ to go back to a GIG. But since I never even got 500 mbps I don't think I will do it.
Back to no 5G wifi, any ideas?
Oh yes tech support tried to tell me it was my computer and I should contact them. I told them was 3 different brands, all windows and a couple of TV's and 3 other android devices. I doubted it was all of them and ,,5G still works on my other ASUS router?

Post screen shots of your settings. Otherwise there is no way to help you.

This is one of the popular models around and many folks have it. Unless it's a defective unit, basic setup takes under 5 minutes.

I'll post screenshots later as I am not at that location at present time.
My be tomorrow before I can get back.
Thank you.

@laptop, it would be helpful for others if you confine your replies to one of the discussions and not both. Posting to both scatters information between two different discussions and confuses things.

Just so others are aware, see the other postings by the OP in another thread starting with the post in the link below for some more context since there may be information post there that isn't posted here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax86u-check-my-settings-please.83200/page-3#post-916030

Quite a few users have the RT-AX86U Pro and do not have the WiFi issues you are apparently experiencing. As has been repeatedly stated, post your WiFi General and WiF Professional settings, redacting any sensitive information. The settings @Tech9 previously linked should work for many people.

It would help if you posted your specific firmware version the router is running. If using Asus-Merlin firmware make sure to post information on any additional add-on scripts you are running.

What changes did Asus Support have you make? Be as specific as possible on those changes.

What specific client devices (make/model) cannot access or see the WiFi 5Ghz band (assuming you have the 5Ghz ban enabled)?

I'll post screenshots later as I am not at that location at present time.
My be tomorrow before I can get back.
Thank you.
I did a copy of the set up page but it does not paste as the exact copy from the setup page. IE the bans on setup show 5G but on here is shows 2.4/5.g how can this happen?

Wireless - General

Set up the wireless related information below.
Enable Smart Connect
iphone_switch_container_on.png

Band 2.4 GHz5 GHz
Network Name (SSID)
Hide SSIDYes No
Wireless Mode AutoAX onlyN/AC/AX mixedLegacy
802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode Enable Disable If compatibility issue occurs when enabling 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode, please check: FAQ
WiFi Agile Multiband Enable Disable
Target Wake Time Enable Disable
Channel bandwidth 20/40/80/160 MHz20 MHz40 MHz80 MHz160 MHz Enable 160 MHz
Control ChannelAuto3640444852566064100104108112116120124128132136140144149153157161 Current Control Channel: 36
Auto select channel including DFS channels

Extension Channel Auto
Authentication Method Open SystemWPA2-PersonalWPA3-PersonalWPA/WPA2-PersonalWPA2/WPA3-PersonalWPA2-EnterpriseWPA/WPA2-EnterpriseWPA3-EnterpriseWPA3-Enterprise 192-bitWPA2/WPA3-Enterprise
WPA Encryption AES
WPA Pre-Shared Key
Weak
Protected Management Frames DisableCapableRequired
Group Key Rotation Interval

Because I know how Wi-Fi works and what makes sense in exposed for no good reason settings in Asuswrt with no logical dependencies, some simply copy/paste from older firmware versions along with all the bugs in help tips. I'm not going to explain every single setting, take it or leave it, find your best settings. It's just an example for better compatibility on specific Asus device, perhaps applicable to other similar devices, with filtered marketing BS that actually makes no difference whatsoever on a home network with few active at a time clients.