What's new

Asus RT-AX86U no wifi. LEDs off.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axiomata

New Around Here
Asus RT-AX86U no wifi. LEDs off.

My router login stopped working using phone app. Only way to get logged back in was to push the tiny reset button on router. I did that, got through setup, connected to internet via Ethernet. But the wifi isn't available. LEDs for both 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz are off.

Did another restore to factory default through web interface. Same issue. Played with all the wifi settings I could think to try. Same issue. Did a hard reset holding the WPS button while turning on. Same issue. Installed the custom Merlin firmware. Same. Did the Rescue Model firmware rollback to a previous version. Nothing.

Are my wifi radios toast or something? I need help. A few months out of warranty. They don't register MAC addresses, display temperatures, etc. When I try to turn on a Guest network it says to turn on wifi and I click the link and it takes me to the settings page where you have a radio button to turn on and off the wifi transmitters. It flashes the "on" button like it wants me to turn it on but it is already set to on.

Last edited:
If it doesn't work with stock Asuswrt and after hard WPS reset - most likely hardware failure.

Click few times the Wi-Fi on/off button just in case. Unlikely, but may have stuck or something.

I think you're right. Hardware dead. No physical on/off button but did cycle the GUI radio button on and off a few times.

I went with the

TP-Link AXE5400 Archer AXE75 6E​

as a replacement.

Just can't justify buying a more expensive Asus router again after it only lasted 2.5 years.

Last edited:
I definitely looked for it. Just a LED on/off and a WPS button on each side.

There was a setting option to turn the WPS button into a wifi on/off button but it didn't work.

In this case you have the vertical RT-AX86U, not the horizontal RT-AX88U and definitely not RT-AX886U.

Your new Archer AXE75 is quite popular with gamers who need dedicated 6GHz band for VR sets. One of the tested compatible and recommended models at affordable price. Otherwise it's built around weaker hardware compared to RT-AX86/88U and is similar to Asus RT-AXE7800. Enjoy your new router!

1000055316.jpg

Apparently not for this one. But maybe I will contact them.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!