What's new

Asus RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

infinity7117

New Around Here
Hello,

i am running the latest asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.374_979-gbc8961e
for my rt-n16, with a wd MyBook 2 TB connected usb drive with one ntfs partition, 500 mb swap file on the hdd, transmission bittorent installed with ipkg, running with 48 MB cache( "cache-size-mb": 48, ).

All running stable, I am pretty happy about it :D

But, is there any way i can improve the disk performance?
It seems generally slow.

I know cpu can be the bottleneck with all the hashing for torrent pieces, and encryption, file system overhead, etc... but how can the performance be maximized? When pre-allocating files it takes la long time and router becomes less responsive, sometimes i can't connect with telnet, timeout until file is allocated.

Would there be any difference if hdd was ext2 formatted?
Any other tips?

Thank you

Going with ext2 might help performance, especially with an RT-N16 (as opposed to more recent routers that have a faster CPU).

Don't expect much past 15-17 MB/s in disk performance however.

Getting anywhere near 15-17 MB/s would be great :D

Using laptop connected with wireless connection @ 300 mbps

FTP:
Upload: ~3 MB/s
Download ~6 MB/s

Samba:
Upload: ~5.5 MB/s
Download: ~8.5 MB/s

transfer rates are constant across a 1GB file transfer.

TransmissionBT
Download speed averaging 2.5-3.0 MB/s. Peaks at 4 Mb/s and drops to 0 MB/s

Downloading using utorrent from my laptop using wireless connection from same router goes steady at 10 MB/s using same torrent from local tracker / lots of local peers.

using telnet i got:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/The_Book/test/test.bin bs=1M count=500 conv=fsync

dd if=/mnt/The_Book/test/test.bin of=/dev/null bs=1M count=500

writing/reading 500M took each 24 seconds = ~20.8 MB/s

15-17 MB/s is what you can achieve on an RT-N66U using ext2. The RT-N16U has a slower CPU and only half the RAM - a good portion of which is used by Transmission. NTFS is also handled by a CPU-intensive driver compared to ext3. You might be pushing the RT-N16 to its limit there.