What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welp, looks like I have found an "odd" fix. By disabling UPnP, the lag issues have been non-existent. I've had it like this for two days not and have had a perfectly good connection. Only problem now is that my NAT is no longer open and is moderate. Any idea what could be going on here?

So sent my logs through the other day with a few thousand MgmtRing errors.
After that, I had the router pile on 24,750 more of these errors in 3 hours. Wow.

Since then, after a few reboots, I hit 96 errors in the first couple of hours, but didn't get any more for 5 days. I have no idea what could be causing this.

Also, just a question around wireless multicast rate (thinking it might be related). The option for multicast rate states that 'Select the multicast transmission rate. You are recommended to select Auto to maximise performance.'
Where is the Auto option? I only have disable or several fixed rates...

Welp, looks like I have found an "odd" fix. By disabling UPnP, the lag issues have been non-existent. I've had it like this for two days not and have had a perfectly good connection. Only problem now is that my NAT is no longer open and is moderate. Any idea what could be going on here?

Someone wrote in the official Forum that Moderate NAT ist better than open - but that makes no sense. What happens if you Port Forward instead of UPnP. Is it laggy again? If yes something is wrong with open NAT or there is too many data for your Router with open Nat? Maybe Firewall Problem then?

I agree, it doesn't make sense. I've had the firewall disabled. I'm going to try to just port forwarding instead of UpnP to open the ports up and see if the lag returns.

I agree, it doesn't make sense. I've had the firewall disabled. I'm going to try to just port forwarding instead of UpnP to open the ports up and see if the lag returns.

I read ybout that for xbox live FULL CONE NAT is the best. If enabled you don´t need to port Forward or DMZ or UPnP. But I don´t know about security with this NAT type

The modem visibly out-performs the router every time. Guess what? I've hooked up my 5 year old WRT-54G router and it performs on par with my modem.
[snip]
There IS a clear problem with Xbox live connectivity and latency. You may not notice it as much in games such as COD because of the lag compensation filter and the fact that because the game plays a lot different than a skill based shooter such as Halo. I am a Halo player. The router is the only variable in this equation. If I use my old router or go directly through the modem, the lag issues are non-existent. There is no arguing this.

Another issue with xbox live and this router - if you're using a computer at the same time that you're on xbox live and you decide to shut off your computer, it will kick you off of xbox live.

I've contacted Asus wireless support both on the telephone and online. They get the same complaint all the time about there being latency issues with xbox live. I wish people would stop acting like the problem doesn't exist.

As you have since found out, it was an issue with uPnP and related settings. Perhaps you might benefit from copying my settings?
I also play Halo, Quake, Quake 3, and F.E.A.R. - which are all very sensitive to lag. I have no problems at all.

However, I do have uPnP enabled, so it may a combination of settings that lead to some kind of lag-creating bug. I maintain that "bufferbloat" is a nonsense term.

My settings for your interest:

LAN - Static IPs for fixed devices, like desktop PCs and the router etc. DHCP with dynamic IPs for mobile devices. No static routes, no IPTV setup. Switch packetstorm control all set to the default 10Mbps, with "NAT accelerator" enabled.
WAN - Dynamic IP, uPnP enabled, manual DNS servers, no authentication. No port triggers, 2 port forwarding entries (I sometime run a Halo and Quake server from home), no DMZ, DDNS using asuscomm, all NAT passthrough entries for VPN enabled.
Wireless - 2.4 and 5GHz enabled. WPS disabled. Bridge enabled (links to a Tenda AP), no MAC filtering, no RADIUS settings, radio always on, no AP isolation, IGMP snooping is disabled, multicast rate is disabled, preamble is auto, default RTS, DTIM and beacon settings, TX bursting, packet aggr, WMM APSD and DLS enabled.
IPv6 - disabled
Firewall - enabled with DoS protection, no logged packets and respond to ping enabled. No URL or keyword filters, no network services filters.
Traffic Manager - QoS enabled in automatic mode with upload and download bandwidth specified manually (3Mbps and 62Mbps).
Media server is installed and running from a USB stick. iTunes and DLNA enabled.

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.334 - installed without wiping NVRAM, but I did reset all settings after install and manually set the router up from defaults.

Clearly, you have an issue with the RT-N56U, as the linksys doesn't give you trouble. You either have a faulty N56, or something about your settings is causing a problem - as you now know, disabling uPnP seems to fix it.

Problems with 3.0.0.4.342, same problem i had on the old UI f/w.

It doesn't keep the android device wireless awake when the phone screen turns off, I have had to revert to 3.0.0.4.260 and its perfect, wireless doesn't die when screen turns off.

Install 3.0.0.4.342 and within 10 minutes the phone no longer has wireless, so cant recieve emails etc with screen off :/

Anybody know whats causing it ?

all the same wifi hiccups with my macbooks. Bought a Time Capsule ... problems are gone ... and also the asus.

I'm literally on the verge of doing this as well.

Same here...this router hasn't worked without more problems than I feel like dealing with since I got it.

There IS a definite UPNP/port fowarding/DMZ problem that Asus simply chooses to dismiss. The router is touted as the king of all gaming routers yet it only functions properly when you purposely have your NAT be moderate.

How come, every time I flash a 3.xx firmware (padavan or asus) the download speed (when downloading torrent files) goes up and down like a yo-yo all the time!? See the the link below for a picture. On 1.0.1.f firmware, which is my favourite, the speed keeps a steady rate that's higher than on any 3.xx firmware?
This happens on wifi.

Link to a screenshot:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5zKh8nQtEZrRnZTYTd2Rjc4eG8/edit?usp=sharing

Edit. Im starting to believe that this only affacts the 2,4ghz band...5ghz seems to work fine.

Last edited:
How come, every time I flash a 3.xx firmware (padavan or asus) the download speed (when downloading torrent files) goes up and down like a yo-yo all the time!? See the the link below for a picture. On 1.0.1.f firmware, which is my favourite, the speed keeps a steady rate that's higher than on any 3.xx firmware?
This happens on wifi.

Link to a screenshot:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5zKh8nQtEZrRnZTYTd2Rjc4eG8/edit?usp=sharing

Edit. Im starting to believe that this only affacts the 2,4ghz band...5ghz seems to work fine.

I had similar experience with you. But 3.0.0.4.206 works fine with me.

I keep following this thread and seems that most people found the .206 is the most stable one so far.

How come that the most stable version is still a beta version which doesn't even appear on ASUS's support page? This is not like what ASUS usually does, or it is? ASUS supposed to publish a stable, working version on the support page, right? I'm new to this area but this is a long-time question I have in mind, if anyone could shed some light on me, I would be appreciate. :)

I had similar experience with you. But 3.0.0.4.206 works fine with me.

I keep following this thread and seems that most people found the .206 is the most stable one so far.

How come that the most stable version is still a beta version which doesn't even appear on ASUS's support page? This is not like what ASUS usually does, or it is? ASUS supposed to publish a stable, working version on the support page, right? I'm new to this area but this is a long-time question I have in mind, if anyone could shed some light on me, I would be appreciate. :)

I will try the .206-firmware and see if it makes any difference. I hope so!:)

I think I have found the problem! I uninstalled the intel wifi driver on my pc and then the speed was good again on the 2,4ghz band :D So now im trying the latest padavan.

I want to come back to Bufferbloat - noone has answered it.

Is something done against Bufferbloat in the Firmware?

I know that many people are out there who say it doen´s exist - but now you can also watch this:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130418_bufferbloat_demo_see_how_much_faster_internet_access_can_be/

even cisco works for solving the "Problem"

http://kb.pert.geant.net/PERTKB/ProportionalIntegralControllerEnhanced

It's like global climate change, don't worry about the deniers *smile*. Buffer bloat is a real issue, I've been convinced by for some time by the technical articles that I've read and people that I respect in the networking field that are also concerned about it. Convincing someone that doesn't want to read the articles, or reads the articles and discounts them is pretty much impossible. They'll have to experience it personally to believe it.

Keep asking, Asus should respond. You might try Jeremy directly at his email address, though:

cl-jeremy@asus.com

and see what he says. It may take a few days for him to get back to you.

It's like global climate change, don't worry about the deniers *smile*. Buffer bloat is a real issue, I've been convinced by for some time by the technical articles that I've read and people that I respect in the networking field that are also concerned about it. Convincing someone that doesn't want to read the articles, or reads the articles and discounts them is pretty much impossible. They'll have to experience it personally to believe it.

Keep asking, Asus should respond. You might try Jeremy directly at his email address, though:

cl-jeremy@asus.com

and see what he says. It may take a few days for him to get back to you.

I wrote him.

I really hope that they do something against Bufferbloat. I read some things in the gargoyle Firmware Forum (too bad that I can´t use it) and they have codel enabled and get very good results.

Ehh I went back to the manufacturers firmware after they introduced AICloud.

What a mistake that wash airplay still dies on everything, speeds are inconsistent. Although having download manager is nice.

an NFS Server

Dear Devs,

Could you please add an NFS Server.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I wrote him.

I really hope that they do something against Bufferbloat. I read some things in the gargoyle Firmware Forum (too bad that I can´t use it) and they have codel enabled and get very good results.

No answer I take it?