What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case closed, finally no more mW talk....

It seems to me, judging by posts about it, that many of us here are interested in validating performance and TX power is a big component.

It looks like the concerns were well founded in terms of users' comparison tests and stated concerns about the decreased performance and adjustments not seeming to work on fw 96 given the two changes in 102 for TX power:

1. 102 uses 80mW as the default.
2. The issue with fw 96 appears to be that the changes, while the values stuck in the UI (unlike the original firmware), did nothing to change the actual power being output.

In summary, it looks like
1) Asus addressed this 'changes not taking effect' bug (which explains the odd behavior in 96 when switching from 40mW to 80mW and vice versa
and
2) They apparently decided 80mW was optimal by setting it as the default in 102
(40mW always seemed low compared to the E4200 which is set to 100mW).

I plan to leave it set to 80mW.

Sorry if transmit power settings discussion bothered you so much, despite the concerns everyone posted being valid, as confirmed by Asus making the changes in 102.

Last edited:
Sorry if transmit power settings discussion bothered you so much, despite the concerns everyone posted being valid, as confirmed by Asus making the changes in 102.

Being that either setting 40mW or 80mw difference in measured signal strength, is nothing more than a feel good number. The review on this site already validated high throughput at farthest location. An extra bar on a DVD player will have no real world effect on throughput. The testing done on this site is much more valid than "who has the highest signal strength in the neighborhood wins". Plus, it is not neighbor friendly to try to tweak every last dB of signal strength out of a router, when in your own home you gain nothing. If you have sufficient throughput in your home, leave a little room for your neighbor so he/she does not have to contend with you wrecking havoc while he/she is trying to stream a movie. The rule should be only as much power as you need to get the job done (maybe that would only be 20-30mW). But this is American, screw the neighbors...

Next Question?

Last edited:
.102 got new drivers:

eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 5.100.138.20
PCI: Enabling device 0000:01:01.0 (0000 -> 0002)
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:01:01.0 to 64
eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:01.0 (0000 -> 0002)
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:02:01.0 to 64
eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20

PS: Why i cannot notice almost any difference from coverage on WL-500GP vs RT-N16 vs RT-N66U?

Last edited:
Being that either setting 40mW or 80mw difference in measured signal strength, is nothing more than a feel good number. The review on this site already validated high throughput at farthest location. An extra bar on a DVD player will have no real world effect on throughput. The testing done on this site is much more valid than "who has the highest signal strength in the neighborhood wins". Plus, it is not neighbor friendly to try to tweak every last dB of signal strength out of a router, when in your own home you gain nothing. If you have sufficient throughput in your home, leave a little room for your neighbor so he/she does not have to contend with you wrecking havoc while he/she is trying to stream a movie. The rule should be only as much power as you need to get the job done (maybe that would only be 20-30mW). But this is American, screw the neighbors...

Next Question?

You said it all Man, how true! I praise you for that!

wifi speeds low?

I'm getting low transfer speeds via wifi from my server

transferring 25GB mkv file to laptop (wifi) - 3mb/sec compared to wired
30/mb.

My wifi is N using 2.5 ghz which is around 216mb max according to issid, so shouldn't I be getting higher speeds?

30/mb.

My wifi is N using 2.5 ghz which is around 216mb max according to issid, so shouldn't I be getting higher speeds?

Do you have 40Mhz channel BW set in N66U?
Your wifi adapters can do 300Mb?
Have you changed any wifi settings?
Have you tried other spots in hour house? Is it constantly <300Mb?

30/mb.

You need to check what speed laptop connected at? By those speeds likely at 72mbps. Like G37X said, if your adapter supports 300, u need to set it to 40, that will give you extra channel for the radio in the laptop to connect to.

Do you have 40Mhz channel BW set in N66U?
Your wifi adapters can do 300Mb?
Have you changed any wifi settings?
Have you tried other spots in hour house? Is it constantly <300Mb?

Well I did change it to 40mhz channel and was getting much lower speeds. The laptop i have is a Macbook AIR late 2011 ver.

I have not really looked around in the wifi settings on my laptop thou. I assume need to change some settings on the router?

Will try your other suggestions when I get home from work.

Well I did change it to 40mhz channel and was getting much lower speeds. The laptop i have is a Macbook AIR late 2011 ver.

I have not really looked around in the wifi settings on my laptop thou. I assume need to change some settings on the router?

Will try your other suggestions when I get home from work.

I have also a macair 2011, same router and get 300Mb.

Next Question?

Exactly, but getting the job done is what I am striving to do.
To give some background on my findings and how they relate to MY specific needs:
With 102 at its default 80mW setting,which fixed the TX power bug of xxxx96, there was a measurable difference at even the closest location (in the bedroom right next door to my 'home office' room).
I can test in the furthest locations tonight to see how much difference it makes.

The bars are indeed only a minor concern.
My real desire is better throughput.
Using 80mW last night, I saw throughput numbers that were about 20 - 25% higher with 102 than with 96.
I can run tests with it at 40mW tonight to compare it since I just got 102.
When we're talking 44 Mbps vs. 53 Mbps, it is noticeable when you're moving large files over the network (or for supporting your full internet bandwidth if you are one of the lucky ones in the USA who has a premium internet account).
Also in the far locations of my house (family room on lower floor), I noticed that while the signal was indeed strong, I was previously getting throughput results (LAN Speed Test with multiple runs to get an average) right at the edge of my not-so-special 21 Mbps ISP bandwidth.
That is where settings such as TX power can make a difference, so I am glad they made 80mW the default.

If / when I upgrade my internet account, I can try 120mW to ensure I get my full bandwidth in the family room for wifi clients for internet downloads.

That is why I wanted to get the ideal router settings (including TX power among others) for MY particular environment...

I agree with not overdoing it if it does nothing (significant), so long as throughput is being measured too (not just signal strength).
That is where it varies by user (someone with a small distance and less obstructions between the router and client won't need as much power as someone with a 5,000 sq foot place e.g.)
If someone is not having any performance concerns, then leave things at default (or lower).

Rather than posting twice, here is how 102 is working for me so far:
- fw 102 is working very well for me so far. No disconnects or instability.
- I already noted the 20- 25% increase in throughput (bi-directionally).
- I did notice that when changing the TX power and hitting save or apply, the spinning icon hangs at 100%. I am using Firefox to access the admin pages.

So far so good otherwise.

being that either setting 40mw or 80mw difference in measured signal strength, is nothing more than a feel good number. The review on this site already validated high throughput at farthest location. An extra bar on a dvd player will have no real world effect on throughput. The testing done on this site is much more valid than "who has the highest signal strength in the neighborhood wins". Plus, it is not neighbor friendly to try to tweak every last db of signal strength out of a router, when in your own home you gain nothing. If you have sufficient throughput in your home, leave a little room for your neighbor so he/she does not have to contend with you wrecking havoc while he/she is trying to stream a movie. The rule should be only as much power as you need to get the job done (maybe that would only be 20-30mw). But this is american, screw the neighbors...

Next question?

l-m-a-o :d

Using 80mW last night, I saw throughput numbers that were about 20 - 25% higher with 102 than with 96.

Other changes in .102 most likely account for the throughput increase. Using .102 I just dropped from 80mW to 20mW and tested at my farthest location (basement to top floor farthest corner of a two story house) Dropped to 2 bars from 4 and no change in throughput. There is more to it than mW, and I care about "usable" throughput, being neighbor friendly, and I don't count bars, or fixate on inSSIDer readings. As far as this router dropping throughput of 20-25% when going from 80mW to 40mW, I don't believe it is reproducible (except at the extreme edges of its range, which is not your situation).

My home is tough, 3000 square feet, 3 levels, router in basement and surrounded by 35 SSID's. Your location or mine, same router, if lowering output cuts throughput by 1/4, then it should be reproducible, since your original posts talk about 96% signal (per your measurements) at your furthest and most difficult location with original firmware set at 40mW. 96% signal original firmware at 40mW, new firmware 80mW same location, still 96%-100% signal, and you see a 1/4 increase in throughput? Your stated 96% signal on 2.4GHz and your stated 5 bars at 5.0GHz at your furthest location is not a tough location (at 96% it is a great location / in testing that would be location A). With that logic, crank it to 500mW, and you should be able to go beyond the speed of light and time will move backwards.

Gaining 25% increase in throughput, with a maximum signal gain of 4% in a location "A", is not due to going from 40mW to 80mW. 96% signal upped to 100% signal in a location "A" is not going to impact throughput by 25%. (And don't throw all kind of tests at me at your location, as users tests are unscientific, and always end up showing only what the user is trying to prove to gain credibility).

Reviewing your past posts on this router, 80% of them are about mW and signal strength (not what one usually sees when someone has 96% signal strength at their furthest and most difficult location ). With this router set at 80mW you have 96%-100% signal strength at your worst location, and before that you felt you needed a 600mW Amped router to cover such a signal friendly environment? There is a pattern here.

As Tim the tool man would say: "MORE POWER to you"!

Last edited:
Is anyone having UPnP issues? I just received my router yesterday and have upgraded to 102, but can't get anything working with UPnP. Both my WHS 2011 machine and my Xbox can't properly set their ports. :confused:

Is anyone having UPnP issues? I just received my router yesterday and have upgraded to 102, but can't get anything working with UPnP. Both my WHS 2011 machine and my Xbox can't properly set their ports. :confused:
Count me in! U have to manually set ports, for whs11 you need 80,443 and 4125 all tcp. Haven't had to set any ports for ps3, what ports u need open on it?
Please let asus know about it.

I have used all FW's except the first (.72) and UPnP has never worked for me. But it only takes 2 seconds to manually foward ports with this fine ASUS GUI.

Can someone guide me through the settings I need to disable or do whatever with to make my router as unstrict & open as possible? On Netgears it was easy, disable SPI Firewall, disable DoS protection, and set NAT type to open - turning off NAT on this Asus makes the internet not work at all, so I don't know how to just release the NAT type for the entire router itself without port forwarding things like an Xbox and such. So yeah, open NAT type and whatever else to make my router unsecure as possible thanks LOL.

Other changes in .102 most likely account for the throughput increase. Using .102 I just dropped from 80mW to 20mW and tested at my farthest location (basement to top floor farthest corner of a two story house) Dropped to 2 bars from 4 and no change in throughput. There is more to it than mW, and I care about "usable" throughput, being neighbor friendly, and I don't count bars, or fixate on inSSIDer readings. As far as this router dropping throughput of 20-25% when going from 80mW to 40mW, I don't believe it is reproducible.
My home is tough, 3000 square feet, 3 levels, router in basement and surrounded by 35 SSID's. Your location or mine, same router, if lowering output cuts throughput by 1/4, then it should be reproducible, since your original posts talk about 5 bars at your furthest location with original firmware. 5 bars original firmware at 40mW, new firmware 80mW same location, still 5 bars and you see a 1/4 increase in throughput? 5 bars (you stated on 2.4GHz and you stated 4 bars at 5.0GHz) at your furthest location is not a tough location. With that logic, crank it to 500mW, and you should be able to go beyond the speed of light and time will move backwards.

My comments and tests, whenever I had time to run them, were focused on maximizing throughput. That is always my primary concern. Signal levels were taken as well, but throughput is my primary goal.
The first firmware I tried (right after the original release) was fine. It is xxxx96 (the most recent one I used before 102) relative to which I was saying the throughput increased after moving to 102 (i.e. not comparing the original to 102 but rather comparing 96 to 102).

The bars discussion was regarding the Blu-Ray player (in the furthest location), since I can't properly test throughput on it...

I will run some more throughput tests on 102 tonight, using both 40mW and 80mw.
If there is indeed no reproducible throughput benefit, I will be happy to post the findings here. I will post them either way.
102 has resolved the 96 issues (noted in the release notes) and that is a great thing.

Hopefully they can address the intermittent VPN disconnects that some users are observing when using firmware 102 and then we can leave our routers alone for a while... I am not a big fan of flashing devices too frequently for obvious reasons.

I found why FTP transfer rate was limited to 4mb/s, since im using a laptop with a 100MBIT NIC i knew perfectly that never could copy more than 10-11mb/s, the problem here was that samba could achieve that speed (10-11mb/s) but vsftpd couldn't, it was limited to 4mb/s, once i tested on a gigabit NIC i was able to copy 18mb/s. ;)

Don't know why but vsftpd does not achieve maximum of 100MBIT transfer rate, if anyone try could assist to this novel ;)

Should be reported to ASUS? Other way ppl with 100MBIT NIC will be aggrieved when using FTP, its even slower than using a RT-N16...

PS: ASUS FW and Tomato FW do exactly the same.

Last edited:
Can someone guide me through the settings I need to disable or do whatever with to make my router as unstrict & open as possible? On Netgears it was easy, disable SPI Firewall, disable DoS protection, and set NAT type to open - turning off NAT on this Asus makes the internet not work at all, so I don't know how to just release the NAT type for the entire router itself without port forwarding things like an Xbox and such. So yeah, open NAT type and whatever else to make my router unsecure as possible thanks LOL.

What I did to mine was do a dhcp static for the xbox and put the ip in the dmz. There is no need to run UPNP.

Status
Not open for further replies.