What's new

ASUS rt n66u Download slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pureluck1999

New Around Here
I am new here. So please don't be upset if I am re posting something that someone has asked a thousand times.

I purchased a new asus rt n66u about 5 months ago. Everything was working amazing. About a week ago my download slowed way down. I called my service provider and we did a speedtest.
My service is 15mb download.
I speedtest at 2 to 4mb download consistant with 5 to 7mb upload. Through the router.
When I run the wire direct (by passing the router) to the laptop I get 14mb download and still 5 to 7mb upload.
So i factory reset the router. I set the 2.4 and the 5 up with the same names and passwords as prior. Did the test again it was still very slow in comparison to what it used to do. So i turned off the firewall I turned off b/g. Still very slow. I don't know what to do now. Besides return it. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Replying to myself

In case anyone else has this problem. The asus router firmware check is incorrect. It will say it is the latest and greatest but it is not. Go to there website to find and download the actual firmware you need. Do a factory reset after installing the new firmware. Bingo all my speeds where back. It did cause another issue tho. On the ps3 i had to static ip and port forward not only the game i was playing ports, but also Playstation Network Ports. Everything is 100 percent now.