What's new

Asus RT-N66u & External Antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeffspears

Occasional Visitor
Good day

I am new to the forums, I was reading reviews on routers and I think I finally chosen the Asus RT-N66u to be my next addition to my network.

I am thinking of getting the external Antennas though I have read everywhere that the range on this device is crazy, However since I am ordering it from a very far place, I'd like to make the purchase and whats a couple of $ extra is worth anyway.

Link here

Has anyone tried it, and do 3 pcs make more difference than 1, and from what I am reading is that it only affects the 2.4Ghz connection and doesnt affect the 5Ghz is that right?

sorry I hoped this would be cover by the review.

Last edited:
Okay reading this post over here

It seems that I need a duel band antenna like this one here

Does anyone have any experience with those?

Hi keep in mind that you need to buy 3 antennas so it won`t be cheap. I guess it will cost at least as much as the router itself.
Best regards mrcom

Last edited:
Good day

I am new to the forums, I was reading reviews on routers and I think I finally chosen the Asus RT-N66u to be my next addition to my network.

I am thinking of getting the external Antennas though I have read everywhere that the range on this device is crazy, However since I am ordering it from a very far place, I'd like to make the purchase and whats a couple of $ extra is worth anyway.

Did you see this thread:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6832

Some good information there.

I have been using three of the Asus WL-ANT-157 antennas. They definitely improved the range and strength of my router's 2.4 MHz signal (the 5 MHz was flawless even before adding the external antennas). Since this external antenna is directional, you should be careful where you place the router since these antennas could actually make things much worse. In my case, the router is in a closet at the far end of my apartment, so the directional antennas really helped.

Did you see this thread:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6832

Some good information there.

Yup I read that thread I just linked a different page of it.

I was hoping to get a chance to talk to the star of that thread who did the experiment and here he is now (robgold) but seeing how costy it would be if I bought 3 of those I think its better off adding a Access Point if I have a deadzone. From what I read it seems this is the router armstrong used when visiting the moon so I am expecting to be knocked out by the results

Thanks for the help guys,

I have been using three of the Asus WL-ANT-157 antennas. They definitely improved the range and strength of my router's 2.4 MHz signal (the 5 MHz was flawless even before adding the external antennas). Since this external antenna is directional, you should be careful where you place the router since these antennas could actually make things much worse. In my case, the router is in a closet at the far end of my apartment, so the directional antennas really helped.

the Asus WL-ANT-157 seems to be a nice directional antenna. how far it blows up the signal ? (compared with the original ones how much further ?) very interesting..