What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think found out whats causing the QoS Bug. If you click on Activate QoS, then save, the Router will perform the changes. Then change the value for the Upload bandwidth, click on save and your WLAN Speed will be slowed down to the value you entered.

I think found out whats causing the QoS Bug. If you click on Activate QoS, then save, the Router will perform the changes. Then change the value for the Upload bandwidth, click on save and your WLAN Speed will be slowed down to the value you entered.

Hi,

How will the router know to enable QOS if you do not click SAVE?

Is there a way around to enabling QOS a different way?

There are over 500 comments, so no, I didn't read them all. Thanks.

Gitsum:
There have been successful attempts with tomato ( nothing else that I am aware of to date) --there are several comments/recommendations in this forum. Try using the "search this thread" function ( top right of this forum) to search for any comments concerning "tomato". That should help you narrow down the info you might be looking for.

I believe this may be the latest version:
http://tomato.groov.pl/K26RT-N/build5x-084V/RT-N10U/

Last edited:
Has anyone tried running Tomato or any of the other WRT firmwares on this thing yet?

Yes. I'm running Toastman's RT-N "495.1" build on 3 RT-N66U routers without any problems. Did you have any specific questions?

Last edited:
So which is better - E4200 or this RT-N66U? Comparing not only the performance, but also stability, wireless range, price, etc. ?

That is a good question!

Here is what I found on Asus's site. I wish they would add port 443 for web mgmt.

ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.3.96
1. Fixed ppp connection fails after setting idle timeout
2. Fixed Turkey lang related bugs
3. Fixed Virtual port fail issue
4. Fixed NAT loopback bug
5. Fixed Media server bug
6. Modified setting DMZ, related pptp packets will be redirected to that
DMZ pc
7. Modified WDS site survey
* For Download master:
1. The file will not be removed when remove the completed task.
2. Fixed multi-language related bugs.

URL to the firmware.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&p=11&s=2

Last edited:
3.0.0.3.96 fw UPDATE results

Guys I have done the upgrading to 3.0.0.3.96 and here are the results:

-NAT loopback bug FIXED
-40mW TX power FIXED, now you can go up to 500mW for both 2G or 5G
-DLNA appears to work

So far I'm happy guys...

Cheers,
G37x

Update WARNING!
Not sure what happened here as I write this message twice now due to no Internet connection...I get now freq Internet disconnects here is what i did:
-updated my fw
-changed disable hw back to no
-changed DLNA server name to RT-N66U from USB
-connected 1T hdd
-changed power settings to 200mW from 40mW

I now get a bunch of disconnects so I wanted to put the power settings back to 40mW but guess what ? They weer @ 40mW like I never changed them.
aSUS fixed 3 bugs and introduced major new ones...
I downgraded mine back to 3.1.0.3.90

Stability = ZERO at this point...I do not recommend upgrading the router at this point!!!

Last edited:
id also like to know if anyone else has been testing out the download master utility? cause it also seems to be extremely buggy.

first of all, my torrent files wont automatically add to the download utility through windows like its supposed to.

and secondly, I have gotten lock ups of the GUI a couple of times after using the download master. And after this latest time it seems to have corrupted the installation on the hard drive. It keeps saying that the utility is not installed on the HD and when i try to reinstall it, it either fails or installs. But then after "succesfully" installing it will again show it as not being installed.

Hope this has been fixed in the new firmware cause it is a very usefull feature!

Status
Not open for further replies.