What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't check logs, GUI page will not load when i try to get to them.
If i need to change something in order for it to work, i would expect BIG read letter next to the firmware link, or at the very least something on the release notes. And yes, did a factory reset before load it the second time, same result-- unstable, unusable.

Or, can u PLEASE tell us how to make it work?

Well, well, well...wouldn't be the first time a firmware for ANYTHING wasn't headlined with "Reset to factory settings after the update" (Note I didn't reset it to factory settings) however if you have troubles with new firmware it's always a good option.

You say that the GUI page will not load when you try to read the log...good, finally we actually get some real info except it's unstable and bla bla bla. Of course it should be possible to read the logs...maybe we have another outbreak of the famous language bug of ver .72? (I use swedish btw).

Can't check logs, GUI page will not load when i try to get to them.
If i need to change something in order for it to work, i would expect BIG read letter next to the firmware link, or at the very least something on the release notes. And yes, did a factory reset before load it the second time, same result-- unstable, unusable.

Or, can u PLEASE tell us how to make it work?

Redownload the firmware and flash again it must be a bad flash or bad source firmware file.
Not uncommon to have corrupted files.
Try to flash from another computer with firmware newly downloaded to that computer. If theres something wrong with your filesystem.
best regards Mrcom

Redownload the firmware and flash again it must be a bad flash or bad source firmware file.
Not uncommon to have corrupted files.
Try to flash from another computer with firmware newly downloaded to that computer. If theres something wrong with your filesystem.
best regards Mrcom
The second flash was a new download from Asus Site, i did it wired from the laptop not wireless (1st time wireless), just in case. Not giving up yet, once kids and wife are sleeping i'll give it another go. Just find it weird, what g37x described was exactly what happened to me too.

If that fails, going to try tomato, i really like the WOL options on it

I just updated to the latest firmware a few hours ago.

I am also getting similar problems with the others regarding disconnections. This happens while browsing the web. Out of nowhere I would get disconnected from the internet numerous times.

I waited for this firmware to give this router another chance hoping that the slow wireless transfers and the QOS bug will be fixed. Now this new firmware created even more problems. This router is nothing but an expensive headache.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that some of my settings in my configuration were erased.

Last edited:
So is this router still better than other alternatives with. 90 firmware? I heard so many good things about n56u so I assumed n66u would be the one to get now but am I wrong?

So is this router still better than other alternatives with. 90 firmware? I heard so many good things about n56u so I assumed n66u would be the one to get now but am I wrong?
I wouldn't ever get the 56u if I knew the 66u was worse. That's just flawed.

I wouldn't ever get the 56u if I knew the 66u was worse. That's just flawed.

Not sure what you mean. I have n66u on order at Amazon and was wondering if this was better than other routers currently available. Asus seems to be struggling to provide a fully working firmware for this. After hearing so many good things about the previous model n56u it's surprising to believe this is the same company.

Not sure what you mean. I have n66u on order at Amazon and was wondering if this was better than other routers currently available. Asus seems to be struggling to provide a fully working firmware for this. After hearing so many good things about the previous model n56u it's surprising to believe this is the same company.
I wouldn't get a 56u from the same company that made it's predecessor worse. Let's hope they fix any issues. These disconnect issues seem to be reported only by 1-2 people on here.

I wouldn't get a 56u from the same company that made it's predecessor worse. Let's hope they fix any issues. These disconnect issues seem to be reported only by 1-2 people on here.

Yes I'm definitely hoping they fix these promptly before mine gets shipped.

Just want to update my experience with the .96 firmware. I am not experiencing any issues so far. Uptime is about 4 hours and I have not had any internet disconnects. Power increased to 200mw and it seem to have increased coverage in my house.

Someone mentioned not being able to save increased power settings. I believe it is a bug. If you're cursor is still in the field the save button is unavailable. If you put your cursor into another field on the page you will be able to save a new value in that field.

Just want to update my experience with the .96 firmware. I am not experiencing any issues so far. Uptime is about 4 hours and I have not had any internet disconnects. Power increased to 200mw and it seem to have increased noise in my house.

Someone mentioned not being able to save increased power settings. I believe it is a bug. If you're cursor is still in the field the save button is unavailable. If you put your cursor into another field on the page you will be able to save a new value in that field.

Post fixed.

Just want to update my experience with the .96 firmware. I am not experiencing any issues so far. Uptime is about 4 hours and I have not had any internet disconnects. Power increased to 200mw and it seem to have increased coverage in my house.

Take a screenshot and email it to Networking_Support@asus.com.

New firmware broken for me too

Hello,

Upgrading to the new firmware also broke my setup. The router would constantly reboot every few minutes (and drop wired and wireless connections). I wrote to Asus about it. Hopefully they fix this issue soon.

Romain

Status
Not open for further replies.