What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this. I just checked my e-mail again and saw that mine did ship today also. I will have it tomorrow (1 day Prime shipping was $3.99).

Curious if the RT-N66U shipped from Amazon will have the latest, non-broken firmware? I'll report my findings.

As I posted when I first set my RT-N66U up, I guess I got lucky - I had no problems using the GUI (set to English language) to set up my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi and then upgrading the firmware via the Asus GUI without any special tricks or workarounds.
The only thing I noticed (minor detail) is that the firmware update progress indicator disappeared at one point and the screen never refreshed on its own. To be safe, I opened a NEW browser window and checked connectivity to the internet. I then left the original window (used to update the firmware) open a while to be safe in case there was anything still being updated (usually not the case once internet access is restored when upgrading the firmware but I was not going to take any chances).

I also love how fast updates take.
With the Amped I had to wait for it to reboot after almost every type of change if I recall correctly.
The Asus config screen is VERY quick to refresh after most GUI changes (better than the other routers I have owned).

The only things I think they should address:
1. I do not like the fact that WPS was enabled by default (given the exploit that was recently announced).

2. The guest network seemed to stay enabled after I changed the settings . It did not help that the screen is a bit confusing (initially only) since it says 'Enabled' instead of 'Enable', so I thought clicking would disable it when in fact it did the opposite. I think I had to disable it (click 'off') twice to get it to stick but since I only played with guest wifi once, I will give them the benefit of the doubt unless I can recreate it.

All in all this is by far the best performing / most full-featured router I have owned.
Unless something amazing is announced, I think I will stick with this for at least a few years (I say "think" rather than "know" because there is always a chance that the 'new technology' desire in me may succumb to some new high-end router with new technology next year, aside from 802.11ac which will probably not help with range and whose maximum speed is overkill considering both my current internet bandwidth and file copying needs - I don't spend too much time copying data over my network).
I honestly don't see myself getting a new router for a while now, other than at most possibly a second Asus RT-N66U as a spare, although I might wait a while to do so if I choose to go that route since there is a warranty).

Thank you for posting this. I just checked my e-mail again and saw that mine did ship today also. I will have it tomorrow (1 day Prime shipping was $3.99).

Curious if the RT-N66U shipped from Amazon will have the latest, non-broken firmware? I'll report my findings.

Ugghhh--I just realized that my RT-N66U purchase from Amazon.com yesterday comes with a Delivery estimate: Feb. 3, 2012 - Feb. 17, 2012 :eek: ( classic user error)

Now I understand why Amazon.com is promoting the more expensive + additional shipping from 3rd party RT-N66Us on their landing page instead of their $179.99 free two-day shipping with Prime. I guess this means Amazon doesn't have this item in stock....and the advertised Amazon 3rd parties do.

Last edited:
Yes, that delivery schedule is a little ways in the future, just means that Asus will have more firmware bugs fixed by the time that you get yours *smile*.

Ugghhh--I just realized that my RT-N66U purchase from Amazon.com yesterday comes with a Delivery estimate: Feb. 3, 2012 - Feb. 17, 2012 :eek:

Now I understand why Amazon.com is promoting the more expensive + additional shipping from 3rd party RT-N66Us on their landing page instead of their $179.99 free two-day shipping with Prime. I guess this means Amazon doesn't have this item in stock....and the advertised Amazon 3rd parties do.

I placed my order through Amazon on Jan 1 so I figure they got a small amount in and are shipping out what they can.

Yes, that delivery schedule is a little ways in the future, just means that Asus will have more firmware bugs fixed by the time that you get yours *smile*.

I like the way you think RogerSC--thanks for presenting the positive :)

Has anyone experienced issues with the antennas? Specifically that they are not "rigid" and seem to fall over rather than stay upright.

Ugghhh--I just realized that my RT-N66U purchase from Amazon.com yesterday comes with a Delivery estimate: Feb. 3, 2012 - Feb. 17, 2012 :eek: ( classic user error)

That sucks!
I was actually going to initially ask you whether you had back ordered it yesterday but you seemed to be sure you got it so I figured it had briefly gone back in stock... The good news is you can still cancel and order it elsewhere online if you want it quicker.

FYI Microcenter also has them in stock now at their stores in the US in case money is no object (their price is a lot higher than what I paid and what amazon is selling them for [albeit backordered at amazon]).

Has anyone experienced issues with the antennas? Specifically that they are not "rigid" and seem to fall over rather than stay upright.

No, they are working well for me. I did wonder about that before opening the box.
In fact, I have the outer two pointing at ~ 45 degree angles (as outlined in the quick start guide) and they are staying in place nicely.
The interesting thing is that I did not see an adjustment to tighten them if they had been loose (as I had on my Amped).

Out of curiosity, can anyone confirm whether the external antennae are dual band or whether the RT-N66U has internal antennae for 5 GHz?
I thought I read somewhere they are dual band, but I can't find confirmation now.
If nobody knows I can always ask Asus Support.

If they are single band I could try the 3 Rosewill 8dBi 2.4GHz antennae I have lying around.
(I bought them when I got the Zyxel that I returned).
I would only try the antennae for kicks since I honestly have plenty of range and don't need it to be broadcast further down the street than it already is). Plus these 8 dBi ones are huge (as in heavy and might not be easy to keep at a 45 degree angle).
I probably won't even bother though since I have no need given that it is working great as-is.
I am curious though whether they are dual band antennae.

For those located in Toronto, I just bought one of these tonight from Canada Computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/). They have 4 left in stock in the downtown store, and looks like a good number available online.

I'll be hooking it up and I'll post my thoughts as well :)

Looking forward to your thoughts!
I think it is always good to have multiple people (as we have here so far) posting their reviews and thoughts (good or bad).
That is what makes the internet such a great place (I think of it as an online super library of sorts).

I almost passed on this since I was happy with my Amped and had already tried two other routers, both of which disappointed me in terms of long range performance. I did not want to bother with another online item return (not as easy as walking into a store). However, after reading up the RT-N66U and seeing Geraner's first report I reconsidered and took a chance and am now extremely happy I did.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
I think it is always good to have multiple people (as we have here so far) posting their reviews and thoughts (good or bad).
That is what makes the internet such a great place (I think of it as an online super library of sorts).

I almost passed on this since I was happy with my Amped and had already tried two other routers, both of which disappointed me in terms of long range performance. I did not want to bother with another online item return (not as easy as walking into a store). However, after reading up the RT-N66U and seeing Geraner's first report I reconsidered and took a chance and am now extremely happy I did.

Soooo... 48 hours into this you are still a happy person? How about the heat? Is it like the e4200 V1/V2 toasty?

Soooo... 48 hours into this you are still a happy person? How about the heat? Is it like the e4200 V1/V2 toasty?

Yes, happy is a major understatement.
I will now need to find something else to do with some of my spare time ;-) I already have some ideas that involve the outdoors.

My RT-N66U has been rock solid (no wireless disconnects) and I think the performance tests speak for themselves.

It is not toasty at all. It gets warm but not hot by any means and certainly not overly warm so far.
(My Amped was always amazingly cool as if it was not even on).
My E4200 never got hot either (at least not after I raised it up on 4 erasers). If I recall (not in a habit of checking it) my E4200 felt less warm than the Asus but that may also depend on where on the unit the heat is actually originating (I did not bother to feel it often or check everywhere on the case each time).
In any case, it is not of any concern. Since I had the erasers lying on the table, I did use them again though. It can't hurt...

I will now need to find something else to do with some of my spare time ;-) I already have some ideas that involve the outdoors.

My RT-N66U has been rock solid (no wireless disconnects) and I think the performance tests speak for themselves.

It is not toasty at all. It gets warm but not hot by any means and certainly not overly warm so far.
My E4200 never got hot either (at least not after I raised it up on 4 erasers). If I recall (not in a habit of checking it) my E4200 felt less warm than the Asus but that may also depend on where on the unit the heat is actually originating (I did not bother to feel it often or check everywhere on the case each time).
In any case, it is not of any concern. Since I had the erasers lying on the table, I did use them again though. It can't hurt...

As per my previous post, how are your antennas? Can you get them to stay up straight / at 45degree angles, or do they fall over? Not a big deal as I'm sure I could rig some sort of support up for them, but it would be nice if they could stand on their own.

I've had to raise my v2 off the table top surface about two inches else it turns into an English Muffin --very toasty warm/hot with nooks and grannies. With some air flow under the V2 it runs at a very nice temp.

Now to figure out how to get the RT-66 without paying too much. I confess--once I found out about the Amazon delivery date I hit the cancel button......:eek:

I have had some bad experiences with Amazon 3rd parties before so I try to avoid that route. I admit I am a spoiled Amazon.com Prime customer.

Last edited:
I have my 5ghz set to n only 40mhz upper and it showing rate of 13.5mbs. If I look at 'device list' my 300mbps client shows up as 150mbps..any reason why? This is in tomato, btw

Last edited:
As per my previous post, how are your antennas? Can you get them to stay up straight / at 45degree angles, or do they fall over? Not a big deal as I'm sure I could rig some sort of support up for them, but it would be nice if they could stand on their own.

I guess I have been posting so much that you missed my answer to your question a little earlier tonight (go back in the thread and you'll see it).
In a word though, they are standing up fine (see angles etc. in my earlier post).

I guess I have been posting so much that you missed my answer to your question a little earlier tonight (go back in the thread and you'll see it).
In a word though, they are standing up fine (see angles etc. in my earlier post).

My apologies sir! 2 out of the 3 of mine are actually quite loose and end up just falling over. If I can't find a way to tighten them, I'll probably take it back and get another one, if they let me.......

My apologies sir! 2 out of the 3 of mine are actually quite loose and end up just falling over. If I can't find a way to tighten them, I'll probably take it back and get another one, if they let me.......

No need to apologize.
Sorry to hear that two of them are loose! Perhaps Asus Support can help (might have alternatives in case you can't easily exchange / return your router to the place of purchase). It should be covered under warranty I would think.

I do wish they would have a way to tighten them (like my other antennae did) in case they get looser over time since I noticed when I attached them that one was a bit looser than the other two (although still staying in place). So far so good though.

Is this a current problem with the RT-N66u (antennas falling over)?

It's a bit of a problem on mine that's for sure. I'm sure I could secure them with a little bit of tape on the joint (which I don't think could cause a problem). If anyone figures out how to tighten them up, or has the same problem, please let me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.