What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit of a problem on mine that's for sure. I'm sure I could secure them with a little bit of tape on the joint (which I don't think could cause a problem). If anyone figures out how to tighten them up, or has the same problem, please let me know :)
Sounds like something that's pretty easy to implement an solution. But it shouldn't happen on a $200 router.

You think the price on this will go down over time? Seems like I can buy a gaming console for the price of this router.

i too am very interested if the external antennas are used for 5ghz. can somebody that uses 5ghz unscrew the 3 antennas and see how the coverage is?

thanks!

Yes it is dual-band external antennas

i too am very interested if the external antennas are used for 5ghz. can somebody that uses 5ghz unscrew the 3 antennas and see how the coverage is?

thanks!

Yes it is dual-band. If you look on the side of package box there is picture with router features and it shows Dual-band for external antennas.

You think the price on this will go down over time? Seems like I can buy a gaming console for the price of this router.

If you want a console you should definitely buy one however I doubt its routing capabilities. ;-)

If your looking for a new router I do not think you can get a better one than the RT-N66U for $200.

Last edited:

thanks!

This happen with other router I have with this kind small plug.

I got RT-N66 in Europe because not have here in Asia. Firmware really bad so flashed with Toastman's Tomato when I getting home. Have SSID both bands but have time not to test with yet. I using 2.4GHz. QOS is also work fine.

I got RT-N66 in Europe because not have here in Asia. Firmware really bad so flashed with Toastman's Tomato when I getting home. Have SSID both bands but have time not to test with yet. I using 2.4GHz. QOS is also work fine.

Which Toastman's firmware version did you use?

The firmware is far from bad and miles away from "really bad"...did you really use it?

The firmware is far from bad and miles away from "really bad"...did you really use it?

I am currently using Shibby's firmware. I am getting great speed and range. The only I don't like is that it is reporting the wrong speed for 5ghz. I have tested and I know I am getting more than 3.5mbps.

The only thing that stops from using the stock firmware is that it has no support for accessing the router using port 443/https.

Hello

Could somebody test the power consumption of the device (with different loads etc.)? I tried to search for it, but there seems to be no results about this issue.

I am currently using Shibby's firmware. I am getting great speed and range. The only I don't like is that it is reporting the wrong speed for 5ghz. I have tested and I know I am getting more than 3.5mbps.

The only thing that stops from using the stock firmware is that it has no support for accessing the router using port 443/https.

Which version are you using? Can you post the link please?
Thanks!

Which version are you using? Can you post the link please?
Thanks!

Here is how to load the tomato firmware.

1. Go to the link below.
2. Download the file 'tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx' Yes its for the RTN10U but still works for the N66U.
3. Put the router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button in the back of the router and plug the power in. Continue holding the reset button until the power lights blinks slow, then release the reset button.
4. Use the Asus recovery disk and upload the tomato firmware.
5. Wait until it finish, about 5min.
6. Power down the router
7. Power up the router and you now have tomato on it.

Below is the link

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N/build5x-083V/RT-N10U

Status
Not open for further replies.