What's new

Asus RT-N66U or D-Link Dir-868L?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nuke87654

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I'm here to ask a question for which routers to pick out of the two I've stated in the title above.

To help with your decision, here's several things to know.

1. I would like to have a router that would offer the most features to me either through stock or especially in third party firmware as I also intend to install third party firmware like DD-WRT, Merlin, or Tomato builds as I wish to further expand my knowledge upon wifi and routers.

2. I intend to buy two of the same selected routers and a sb141 modem so I can have a powerful wifi network.

3. My ISP will give 50 mps of download speed.

4. I do not have any AC wifi capable devices at the moment, though I would like to future proof my wifi network for such an occasion.

5. I would also like my routers to be dependable for the next couple of years at least so stability is also good.

Any other questions you wish to know I will try and answer to the best of my abilities. Thank you :).

Dlink dir-868 with Kong ddwrt or buffalo wzr-1750dhp are far better products by same price, just load latest Kong DDWRT coz stock factory firmware sucks

Dlink dir-868 with Kong ddwrt or buffalo wzr-1750dhp are far better products by same price, just load latest Kong DDWRT coz stock factory firmware sucks

Alright, thank you very much for your response. One other thing, will loading Kong's ddwrt also give me an option for a torrent server (just because I like to have features), if not, is there anyway to get one on a router anyway?

Alright, thank you very much for your response. One other thing, will loading Kong's ddwrt also give me an option for a torrent server (just because I like to have features), if not, is there anyway to get one on a router anyway?
Sure, just downloaded the _BT_ version comes with transmission I've a very good impression, über fast, support of magnet links etc etc, however need few configuration, nothing complicated and you find a lot of help at ddwrt and opwnwrt (mostly related to media paths, buffer, etc)

Kong's DDWRT files are located at http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Sure, just downloaded the _BT_ version comes with transmission I've a very good impression, über fast, support of magnet links etc etc, however need few configuration, nothing complicated and you find a lot of help at ddwrt and opwnwrt (mostly related to media paths, buffer, etc)

Kong's DDWRT files are located at http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

Thank you once more, I'll adjust my plans accordingly to your advice. Thank you once more.

Thank you once more, I'll adjust my plans accordingly to your advice. Thank you once more.
Just watching at Amazon, seems the R7000 Wil drop price soon since the ac68u dropped again, is the effect of the ac3200.

If you can wait, a couple of weeks you may afford one better or save few bucks.

Just watching at Amazon, seems the R7000 Wil drop price soon since the ac68u dropped again, is the effect of the ac3200.

If you can wait, a couple of weeks you may afford one better or save few bucks.

I can wait for the Netgear R7000 as it is worth the wait as I've heard mostly good things about it.

Then again, AC routers are still under development at the moment and N routers are pretty much complete, and if I get an Asus router, I'll be able to get Merlin's firmwares.

Ah, such a difficult decision for me!

Then again, AC routers are still under development at the moment and N routers are pretty much complete, and if I get an Asus router, I'll be able to get Merlin's firmwares.

Ah, such a difficult decision for me!
Merlín is the option if you need ip6 support now, as well Asus ac68u or the R7000 if you need also powerful radio coverage, but at a price (I would pay). But ddwrt (available for both offer you strongest features, I love the Mac filtering and the Nas features of ddwrt (transmission, samba, mini dlna).

My personal router now it's an Buffalo WZR - 1750dhp, have 256 MB flash and 512mb ram plus same cpu as the ac68u, but I need to say it has an very poor 5ghz band range, while it's 2.4ghz is more less the same as for Asus Ac68u, I opted for it because my long good experience tweaking buffalo and ddwrt, but rigth now if I need to replace it due robbery or some catastrophe, I'll buy an netgear R7000, despite half flash/ram actually my buffalo only uses 1/4 so an R7000 with same load will use about the half it's ram.

I'm also watching carefully the linksys wrt1950 seems it's stock firmware now is stable enough, and ddwrt is on the war as opwnwrt now is on beta on this very powerful device.

DD-WRT is working to support ip v6 soon, as well other new features, possible AFP and Timemachine, as well an new gui I read with mobile theme.

DD-WRT is working to support ip v6 soon, as well other new features, possible AFP and Timemachine, as well an new gui I read with mobile theme.

That's nice to hear as well, now I'm just in a schizophrenic episode trying to figure out whether I should jump on that N66u router on Ebay selling for 70 dollars :D

My personal choice : avoid eBay unless the seller name and reputation offers you some warranty.

An router is something one buy and use 24/7/365 but very often we see or interact, so am savvy choice is opt something don't need our attention on long time, it's the case with r7000,ac68u,n66,dir-868l but buffalo 1750 and linksys wrt1950 aren't yet estable enough to leave alone by long time, and firmware updates required frequently

Last edited: