What's new

Asus RT-N66U & Synology NAS Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yann

New Around Here
Hi, and sorry if this has been posted before but I was battling for months with the RT-N66U and my Synology DS212+, just in order to get streaming to my Samsung TV to work without hitches.

I used to have a Netgear WNDR3700 router and a WD Livebook NAS, and streaming to my TV worked always flawlessly (with twonky). However, I upgraded at the same time to both Asus router (to increase coverage) and to the Synology (to increase speed), which of course worked out fine.

However, immediately after the upgrade I started to get issues with my Samsung TV disconnecting the media streaming. I tried all possible media streaming options (Synology's own DLNA, minidlna, serviio, plex...), but on all the Samsung TV disconnected after 1-30 Min. I also tried different firmwares on the Asus router without luck.

There have been a lot of forum topics on the Synology and Samsung TV DLNA issues, but today I tried to switch to my old WNDR3700 router - and surprisingly streaming started to work.

I just wanted to post this thread for everyone battling with similar issues - the issue might just as well be in the router or its compatibility. The Asus RT-N66U is a great router with excellent speed - but before these streaming issues are fixed (either by Asus or Samsung), I won't go back to it.

It would help to know what firmware version you're running on the RT-N66U and what band you're using for wireless connectivity.

I purchased the Asus router in Oct-2012 and I've tried all official firmwares since, up to .260 (including corresponding Merlin firmwares up to .264). I didn't try any Tomato firmwares and I kept everything to default (wireless bands etc.).

Synology started to support RT-N66U in its latest firmware (for automatic port switching) but unfortunately that didn´t help either. If someone could give me a tip on how to fix the streaming issues, I would switch back to the Asus router in an instant (it's by far superior to the old Netgear router).

I purchased the Asus router in Oct-2012 and I've tried all official firmwares since, up to .260 (including corresponding Merlin firmwares up to .264). I didn't try any Tomato firmwares and I kept everything to default (wireless bands etc.).

Synology started to support RT-N66U in its latest firmware (for automatic port switching) but unfortunately that didn´t help either. If someone could give me a tip on how to fix the streaming issues, I would switch back to the Asus router in an instant (it's by far superior to the old Netgear router).

Hi,

Got same config:
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware RMERLIN 3.0.0.4.260.21.
Synology DS211J, Firmware DSM 4.1-2647
LG Smart TV
No special config. Using Native Synology DLNA server.
Works for me.
The port switching feature of Synology is only relevant if you wish to access DSM services from the WAN side (outside of the LAN).
Which version DSM are you running?

Cheers