What's new

Asus rt68u vs Netgear Orbi vs Ubiquiti

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

endlesszeal

Occasional Visitor
Currently I have an asus rt68u. Been an amazing device; stable and fast. I’ll be possibly moving into a 2300+sqft home and I’m not convinced the single router can handle it. It will be single floor split plan home with master on end and other rooms at the opposite.

I would like to know what would be best to do what I want.. enough WiFi coverage and two switches: one for living room and one for media room for wired. Of course budget is very limited due to needing to buy many other appliances.

Now= cable -> modem > router

Want = cable -> modem > router -> ap -> switch media room
and -> switch living room

Options
1 buy another asus rt68 for $115 in ap mode via Ethernet
2 buy NETGEAR Orbi for $280 mesh via wireless
3 buy Ubiquiti setup for $450 (two ap lites, router, 8port switch and controller key)

Devices currently and predicted : 6 wired and 6 wireless. So far great in current setup.

Any input appreciated!

honestly I'd wait until you get them placed in the house, see how the range works on the rt68, and see what kind of signals you're getting in different rooms.

honestly I'd wait until you get them placed in the house, see how the range works on the rt68, and see what kind of signals you're getting in different rooms.
Agree with this. Wait & see how things connect performance wise before making buying decisions

That said, OP - I moved from a 700 sqft condo to a 3K house & my 68U has no problems providing end to end coverage in also a split level house that is 80+ feet long.

Oh forgot to mention 38 clients running 290+ MBps close the 68U & at further most distances - 20Mbps.

Last edited:
Currently I have an asus rt68u. Been an amazing device; stable and fast. I’ll be possibly moving into a 2300+sqft home and I’m not convinced the single router can handle it. It will be single floor split plan home with master on end and other rooms at the opposite.

I would like to know what would be best to do what I want.. enough WiFi coverage and two switches: one for living room and one for media room for wired. Of course budget is very limited due to needing to buy many other appliances.

Now= cable -> modem > router

Want = cable -> modem > router -> ap -> switch media room
and -> switch living room

Options
1 buy another asus rt68 for $115 in ap mode via Ethernet
2 buy NETGEAR Orbi for $280 mesh via wireless
3 buy Ubiquiti setup for $450 (two ap lites, router, 8port switch and controller key)

Devices currently and predicted : 6 wired and 6 wireless. So far great in current setup.

Any input appreciated!

Given you like your 68U, IF you decide to add a second ASUS router, consider buying two 86Us instead and pass your 68U on to a new home. The 86U is a more current build, more CPU, more memory, WiFi chipset Range Boost (~20%), and supports Smart Connect node band steering, so that you can fully try AiMesh.

Tip: ASUS AiMesh April 2018 Bundle MIR-US

OE