What's new

Asus Smart Connect switch dont work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AsusNoobie

New Around Here
I bought a modern Asus router (dx6) with last update. What could be the problem that Smart Connect doesn't switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz? My phone supports it, and with a router from another brand with mix-connect, it works fine.
I am attaching screenshoot the Smart Connect rules and settings, they are all default. I have checked all devices in the signal quality program and physically brought them close to the router. So, based on the Smart Connect triggers, they should switch to 5 GHz, but it's not happening.
What could be the problem?

Attachments

• as1.png
    as1.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 65
  • s2.png
    s2.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 62
Looks like your router is an XD6? Current firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_23773

The switch may take some time or may not happen at all if the router and client are happy with the connection. Many say Dualband SmartConnect does not work and other bad comments. I do use it but set my WIFI to fixed channels and bandwidth. Yes, I can use 160 MHz bandwidth but my clients work just fine at 80 MHz on 5 GHz and 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz. It works for me!

Approach with caution everything with Smart in the name. Not smarter than you, just catch word marketing. Use separate SSIDs per band for more control over your network. Low traffic devices like IoTs - 2.4GHz band, high bandwidth devices like phones, tablets, computers - 5GHz band. Use fixed channels in non-DFS range and fixed channel bandwidth - 20MHz for 2.4GHz band and 80MHz for 5GHz band. This will stabilize your network significantly.

For better compatibility on 2.4GHz network use this:

Looks like your router is an XD6? Current firmware is 3.0.0.4.388_23773

The switch may take some time or may not happen at all if the router and client are happy with the connection. Many say Dualband SmartConnect does not work and other bad comments. I do use it but set my WIFI to fixed channels and bandwidth. Yes, I can use 160 MHz bandwidth but my clients work just fine at 80 MHz on 5 GHz and 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz. It works for me!
yes both 3.0.0.4.388_23773-gad68d0f

But example my TOP modern phone with wifi-6e always worked with 5ghz on device other company, now only 2.4ghz and never switch to 5ghz also then i try hiload it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-07 081023.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-07 081023.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 53
Approach with caution everything with Smart in the name. Not smarter than you, just catch word marketing. Use separate SSIDs per band for more control over your network. Low traffic devices like IoTs - 2.4GHz band, high bandwidth devices like phones, tablets, computers - 5GHz band. Use fixed channels in non-DFS range and fixed channel bandwidth - 20MHz for 2.4GHz band and 80MHz for 5GHz band. This will stabilize your network significantly.

For better compatibility on 2.4GHz network use this:
But the main reason I use it is switching between 2.4 and 5 depending on the distance, because we know that if you go to the edge, 2.4 will work better, but at a lower speed, and if you start approaching the coverage, it will automatically switch to 5.

From the description of your example, you will need to manually switch when it is on the edge of 5ghz, but if you switch to 2.4ghz, then there will still be good Internet in this place.

Using separate SSID'S is old school. I have used the same SSID'S on routers without SmartConnect and it works just fine.
If you used the same SSID on the new router as the old, did you forget the connection on the phone then reconnect to the Asus router?

But the main reason I use it is switching between 2.4 and 5 depending on the distance

I understand your intentions, but what Asus calls Smart Connect is usually called Band Steering and works better on non-Broadcom based hardware. I have business class APs with Band Steering and it works properly to most clients. Still not using it, I prefer the "old school" proven methods. I have also tested many Asus Broadcom based routers and it's a hit and miss situation. Your modern home router is a $50 hardware inside released with somewhat working firmware and 100 promised features on the box. Some won't work properly, some won't work at all for the life of the product. Exactly because it's "modern" - this is how modern things are made. So test your luck and use whatever works. Smart Connect obviously doesn't work very well for you.

See another "modern" product example here:

It didn't work for me either, so now I manually set what I want to use on each band. In my case, the 5 GHz band seems to have almost the same coverage as the 2.4 GHz band and with much greater data transfer speeds. I only use the 2.4 GHz band for devices which can't connect to the 5 GHz band (a Canon camera, a TomTom sat nav and an Evohome TRV controller).

Last edited:
Using separate SSID'S is old school. I have used the same SSID'S on routers without SmartConnect and it works just fine.
If you used the same SSID on the new router as the old, did you forget the connection on the phone then reconnect to the Asus router?
That's a very oversimplification and naive statement. Yes, it's "old school" in the sense that it's been around a long time and not always necessary these days. However, there are scenarios and situations where it absolutely makes sense and has a very real impact.

Example - I have about 70 IoT devices, all of which support 2.4g and typically operate best there even if they support 5g. Despite having 1gig up/down and high end routers, switches, APs, etc - there are times when putting them on their own SSID that is limited to 2.4g makes complete sense. Not only that, you have more options for network segregation.

Then there are the scenarios where you have devices that support 5g and even take advantage of the speed but don't support a certain encryption level, MLO, or other feature that some of your other high bandwidth consuming devices make use of. Rather than disabling the feature(s) that impacts the really good devices, you can create a separation.

That's a very oversimplification and naive statement. Yes, it's "old school" in the sense that it's been around a long time and not always necessary these days. However, there are scenarios and situations where it absolutely makes sense and has a very real impact.

Example - I have about 70 IoT devices, all of which support 2.4g and typically operate best there even if they support 5g. Despite having 1gig up/down and high end routers, switches, APs, etc - there are times when putting them on their own SSID that is limited to 2.4g makes complete sense. Not only that, you have more options for network segregation.

Then there are the scenarios where you have devices that support 5g and even take advantage of the speed but don't support a certain encryption level, MLO, or other feature that some of your other high bandwidth consuming devices make use of. Rather than disabling the feature(s) that impacts the really good devices, you can create a separation.
99% of users will not need to do the dance that you have done with your network. A single SSID for both bands will suffice for them. This is real world and not the massaged networks the "professionals" set up. In the 40+ WIFI networks visible in my neighborhood, only one other uses a "guest" WIFI.
You can deal with the IoT devices these days with a "guest" or "IoT" network riding on the same router as your main SSID. Same with different Authentication Methods.

Split SSID's are still old school. Use them for your own WIFI but don't recommend others step back in technology...

This technology is not working for many people. At least on home routers with somewhat working perpetual beta firmware. The same for MU-MIMO, OFDMA, TurboQAM, 160MHz wide channel on 5GHz band, etc. And with your 100Mbps ISP line Smart Connect perhaps works well because you may not be able to tell the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz connected clients. Wireless N at 2.4GHz can do about 90Mbps to 2-stream client. Also newer is not necessarily better. "Old school" works perfectly fine, no need to make it Smart.

99% of users will not need to do the dance that you have done with your network. A single SSID for both bands will suffice for them. This is real world and not the massaged networks the "professionals" set up. In the 40+ WIFI networks visible in my neighborhood, only one other uses a "guest" WIFI.
You can deal with the IoT devices these days with a "guest" or "IoT" network riding on the same router as your main SSID. Same with different Authentication Methods.

Split SSID's are still old school. Use them for your own WIFI but don't recommend others step back in technology...
The vast majority of complaints about wifi disconnects end up being non-computing devices (IoT, assistants, cameras, etc) and almost all of those end up being because the devices can't properly navigate the single SSID. People either learn to live with it, get told to separate the bands, or get new devices.

Yes, it is an older method - but one that is very much not in the 1% like your ridiculous statement proclaims. I'd venture to guess that more "wifi problems" are caused by single SSID implementations than any other single source.

And yes, if it works, it's the easiest implementation for the average user that doesn't understand anything about wifi (the vast majority of consumers) - but to pretend that it isn't also the biggest, or one of the biggest, issues impacting people is naive.

The vast majority of complaints about wifi disconnects end up being non-computing devices (IoT, assistants, cameras, etc) and almost all of those end up being because the devices can't properly navigate the single SSID. People either learn to live with it, get told to separate the bands, or get new devices.

Yes, it is an older method - but one that is very much not in the 1% like your ridiculous statement proclaims. I'd venture to guess that more "wifi problems" are caused by single SSID implementations than any other single source.

And yes, if it works, it's the easiest implementation for the average user that doesn't understand anything about wifi (the vast majority of consumers) - but to pretend that it isn't also the biggest, or one of the biggest, issues impacting people is naive.
This discussion just goes on and on. And that is not a bad thing...

Many ISP's provide connsumers "modems" which are actually modem/routers or separate ONT with a router. Brightspeed and Centurylink are like that. Cable companies like Xfinity and Zito are like that, too. When the installers set up the WIFI on the routers...oh wait, they just plug them in and read off the SSID and passwords to the consumer which have two SSID's. And they don't tell the consumer which is which. Yes, I have seen this over and over in my area. In fact, a neighbor just got a new Brightspeed Gig FIOS with a Brightspeed router and she has two SSID's and no idea which to connect to. She was lucky that the installer connected her TV's and phone. And she called me to explain what was going on.

This is one reason I am an advocate for single SSID use for the average consumer. Simplicity of operation! With that said, I understand the need for some to have separate WIFI connections for Guest or IoT clients (I run IoT 2.4 and 5 GHZ with an IoT VLAN). But for the average consumer those are the exception rather than the rule.

And, to call my opinions naive, I feel is rude. I have been around customer service and computers for more years than most of you have been alive. How many of you ever programmed numeric control machines with seven hole punch tape? Many of you have never used a floppy disk let alone an 8 inch floppy disk.....

Simplicity of operation!

For simplicity - Yes, maybe. For performance and control - No, definitely.

And, to call my opinions naive, I feel is rude.

I'll just ask you again to avoid opinions on Wi-Fi in different regions with specifics you are not familiar with. @AsusNoobie is NOT in the US. Last time someone asked similar questions for region Europe your opinion and coming from it suggestions were making the issue even worse.

Last edited:
@Tech9 You are not a forum moderator. Refrain from telling other users what they can post.

Not telling, but asking. Few times already. Most folks from US assume automatically everyone is in the US and provide unrelated advice, unrelated price information, unrelated Amazon links, etc. The screen shots above clearly show channels 12-13 available on 2.4GHz and Ch. 124 on 5GHz. This is a non-US model with 20dBm (100mW) limit on 2.4GHz band and 23dBm (200mW) on 5GHz non-DFS. Before even getting to Smart Connect I would advice Ch. 36 @80MHz first, then Ch. 100 @80MHz test if it works well, then 20MHz fixed for 2.4GHz band with Agile Multiband and PMF disabled, even with Wi-Fi 6 disabled, etc. This is what usually works in Europe. Works for me in North America without paying attention to details is not helping.

Not telling, but asking.
Don’t split hairs with me. You seem to be taking L&LD’s place now that he’s been banned.

Skip the snarky commentary or you will join him.

I bought a modern Asus router (dx6) with last update. What could be the problem that Smart Connect doesn't switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz? My phone supports it, and with a router from another brand with mix-connect, it works fine.
I am attaching screenshoot the Smart Connect rules and settings, they are all default. I have checked all devices in the signal quality program and physically brought them close to the router. So, based on the Smart Connect triggers, they should switch to 5 GHz, but it's not happening.
  1. Check that the 5 GHz radio module is turned on. (Wireless, Professional, Band = 5 GHz, Enable radio = Yes).
  2. Try turning off the 2.4GHz radio module. (Wireless, Professional, Band = 2.4GHz, Enable radio = No)
If the phone can connect to a 5 Ghz radio module, the problem is in the Smart connect settings, which do not allow you to switch from 2.4Ghz to 5 Ghz.

If the phone cannot connect to the 5 Ghz radio module, the problem is in the router or in the phone.