What's new

ASUS ZenWIFI XT9 End of Life?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrettDioson

New Around Here
Is the ASUS ZenWIFI XT9 End of Life? There has been no Firmware updates on this thing for seven months and am wondering if it's even going to get an update to the 3006 branch.

Thanks (as always) @RMerlin . Saw that it wasn't on the EOL list, just didn't know if it was next on the chopping block. (Also updated my sig, just realized it was horribly out of date). Also thanks for your feedback @ronan_zj .

Unlikely, as 3006 is primarily for newer devices based on the BCM4912 or BCM4916 CPU.

Doesn't the ExpertWiFi EBM68 use the same CPU as the XT9? Specs are near identical, so I was hoping it did and there was hope for the XT9 to get 3006 even though it wasn't announced to get it. I guess I'll have to replace my XT9 node to the EBM68 to be able to use the new Guest network features if the XT9 doesn't get 3006

Last edited:
Doesn't the ExpertWiFi EBM68 use the same CPU as the XT9
The ExpertWifi is a different product line targeting at business use. It debuted on 3006 because as a business device it requied the VLAN support. Meanwhile, the XT9 is a device intended for home usage, and it launched on 3004.

I get that they are different product lines. I know Asus has no incentive to update the XT9 to 3006 but it sure would of been nice being 3006 has already been developed for the XT9 CPU from the looks of it. I guess that goes for the RT-AX58U v2 too as the EBR63 seems to share the same CPU as the 58U

I get that they are different product lines. I know Asus has no incentive to update the XT9 to 3006 but it sure would of been nice being 3006 has already been developed for the XT9 CPU from the looks of it. I guess that goes for the RT-AX58U v2 too as the EBR63 seems to share the same CPU as the 58U
Same CPU does not necessarily mean the rest of the hardware is the same. A significant amount of work would still be required to actually support it, it's not just a switch they can flip within the build profile to switch to the new codebase. The switch may be different for instance, which will impact 3006's VLAN implementation. Or the wifi architecture may be different, which will also require dedicated work for Guest Network Pro support for that specific model.

Sure it would be nice, I'm just saying however it's not just a five minutes task to upgrade that device to the 3006 codebase.

I get that. I highly doubt they will update it to 3006 but there's always hope being they have "sister" products that are similar that are already on 3006. At least for me, I can swap out my XT9 for a EMB68 as a node to get properly working AiMesh when you release a 3006 firmware for my GT-AX11000 Pro. Then I'll sell my XT9 to one of my friends that has a AC router currently, so I'm not too worried about it

I highly doubt they will update it to 3006

They won't. For marketing reasons you have to change hardware in order to get Asuswrt 5.0 firmware even if the products are exactly the same internally. ExpertWiFi EBR63 is in fact RT-AX58U V2 with everything integrated in the BCM6756 SoC - WAN/LAN/USB, 2x radios for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. This SoC also supports 6GHz as the case in RT-AXE7800. What can be different is peripheral ICs like power amplifiers, VRM modules, etc.

properly working AiMesh when you release a 3006 firmware for my GT-AX11000 Pro

Your currently available nodes are ZenWiFi Pro XT12. Matching 3-band design and Asuswrt 5.0 compatible.

Your currently available nodes are ZenWiFi Pro XT12. Matching 3-band design and Asuswrt 5.0 compatible.

XT12 is a little too pricey for me to use as a node but if I could find one near $200 used like the EBM68 can be had, then I might consider one once Merlin releases 3006 for the GT-AX11000 Pro. I haven't minded the 2x2 radios on the XT9, so having all 4x4 radios isn't a priority for me. Just that it supports UNII-4 and has 2x 5GHz radios with the backhaul being 4x4 is all I need from a node in the garage

1722026497162.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know how compatible are now or will be in the future consumer RT/ROG and ExpertWiFi products. We know they run on Asuswrt 5.0 base, but most likely have different development branches and may split at some point. ExpertWiFi runs with different GUI and has different features. This split may happen for marketing reasons and you may have to change hardware again. Your call.

I don't know how compatible are now or will be in the future consumer RT/ROG and ExpertWiFi products. We know they run on Asuswrt 5.0 base, but most likely have different development branches and may split at some point. ExpertWiFi runs with different GUI and has different features. This split may happen for marketing reasons and you may have to change hardware again. Your call.

I'm not too worried about that being it will be a node, not my primary router. If it becomes incompatible eventually, I would leave it on an older firmware till I switch to WiFi 7

XT9 is not getting the same attention of XT8 even if it's newer
Looking forward for @GNUton to support XT9 since the product has been voted a lot for getting his release

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!