What's new

News RT-AC68U End of Life Announced by Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I cannot believe they killed off the ax68u so early. i thought the 68u-series was the community darling regardless of which radio was inside, that the ax68u would get as many years as the ac68u. now im really worried about my ax86u (non-pro). since they've already started killing off ax-models, how long until i'm stuck with a 350€ paperweight? what am i supposed to do with it once it's eol and doesnt get anymore updates? what a waste... the worst part is, i tried searching for the ax86u at a couple popular nationwide retailers here in norway... couldnt find it. f*ck. cant be good. makes me wary of buying the zenwifi xt12. how long until that one is eol?

now im really worried about my ax86u (non-pro). since they've already started killing off ax-models, how long until i'm stuck with a 350€ paperweight? what am i supposed to do with it once it's eol and doesnt get anymore updates?
The router doesn't stop working when Asus puts it on the EOL list. It simply means Asus generally won't provide future firmware updates for it. The EOL'd router will still work just as it does right now it just won't (generally) get further firmware updates.

The router doesn't stop working when Asus puts it on the EOL list. It simply means Asus generally won't provide future firmware updates for it. The EOL'd router will still work just as it does right now it just won't (generally) get further firmware updates.
yeah, but without firmware updates to fix performance, stability and security issues it's quite risky to use a "living dead" router stuck on the same firmware perpetually? same goes for every electronic with an OS connected to the web, no?

yeah, but without firmware updates to fix performance, stability and security issues it's quite risky to use a "living dead" router stuck on the same firmware perpetually? same goes for every electronic with an OS connected to the web, no?
There are many routers (and electronic devices in general) out there for which there haven't been new firmware updates (in years) because the manufacturer has stopped providing those updates. Asus tends to have longer support update frequency for certain router models than many other manufacturers, so its easy to become "spoiled" by having continual updates years beyond what other manufactures provide for their products. One can move those EOL routers to other uses like AP nodes behind another router, or as an AiMesh node.

You can still use them as aimesh nodes beyond that point.

I would not recommend using them as AIMesh nodes as there is a capability mismatch with newer Router's that would be the anchor...

Setting one up as a dedicated AP for IoT or other LAN activities, that could be a good use for it.

I've got a couple of AC68u's that I use for testing that have very few hours on them - they're the OG models with the 800MHz core clocks...

Even if it was the primary router/AP with current Firmware, it's hard to justify keeping them online - there are Asus WiFi6 devices that are very affordable, and more capable...

Best to let them go into that quiet night - alternatively the viking funeral, but in many places these days, open fires might be an issue for some...

I cannot believe they killed off the ax68u so early.

This one was a special case, a troubled child. The radio configuration had issues, most likely driver support related. Very few devices had BCM6710 for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, all EoL now. This was the only one from Asus and the last one standing. I knew it's going to be EoL fast about 2 years ago and tried to discourage people from buying this model. Good thing it wasn't popular anyway.

[Networking Product] Duration of Security Update Support (only for UK) | Official Support | ASUS USA

This is minimum required by law support duration for specific country, not the actual EoL date. In this case UK specific.

What we know so far - newer hardware routers with BCM4912 or better will be getting 3.0.0.6.102 (Asuswrt 5.0) firmware. Everything older stays on 3.0.0.4.388 (Asuswrt 4.0), whatever was stuck on 3.0.0.4.386 is now EoL. There is marketing involved as well. If you want new features you have to buy a new router.
There is at least one exception - XP4 - is not on the EOL list, but it has been currently on version 386 and there has been no update for over 2 years.

Sadly, Asus has just announced that the RT-AC68U has been discontinued and has reached end of life. :-(
When a product is end-of-life, it means:
It is no longer manufactured
Its certification will not be renewed
Its firmware, utility, website, DM, QSG and manual will not be updated
It may be replaced by a new product with updated hardware and similar functions

See (under Wireless Routers): https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/
along with 2 AX models , surprised AX getting axed so soon

RT-AX92U
RT-AX68U

There are now RT-AX1800S V2, RT-AX54HP V2, RT-AX1800HP V2 running Mediatek MT7981B (Filogic 820) 1.3GHz A53 dualcore which is also in RT-AX57M. Latest firmware is still on 3.0.0.4.388_33305.

Based on the FCC report, it is 2.4GHz 2x2 + 5GHz 3x3.

ASUS' travel router RT-AX57 Go is very likely running the same Mediatek SoC as above (like a few other travel routers) and it seems to have 3.0.0.6 firmware (AsusWRT 5.0). Having said that, I doubt the routers above will support 3.0.0.6.

This one was a special case, a troubled child. The radio configuration had issues, most likely driver support related. Very few devices had BCM6710 for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, all EoL now. This was the only one from Asus and the last one standing. I knew it's going to be EoL fast about 2 years ago and tried to discourage people from buying this model. Good thing it wasn't popular anyway.

Me too. Owned one. It was a piece of junk that dropped WiFi repeatedly. I lost it to a lightning strike, and replaced it with an AX86S, which is better in every way.