What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.32 Beta 3 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Still Pcontrol issues

Time to track down a competitor's router that also has PControl, and dissect their implementation ;)

Hmm the webui seems to be fixed for me in ie10 now but the issue with Connections is still broken. and it ssems to be on Clock aswell. if i activate pcontrol all works all wekk util friday and the controled conection won't open. This keeps all the way through the weekend to work from monday to friday and then break down again.... very annoying bug.

Hmm the webui seems to be fixed for me in ie10 now but the issue with Connections is still broken. and it ssems to be on Clock aswell. if i activate pcontrol all works all wekk util friday and the controled conection won't open. This keeps all the way through the weekend to work from monday to friday and then break down again.... very annoying bug.

When I first tried playing with PCs a few months ago, I was on an Asus released firmware where the schedule page "worked" with IE9. I mouse clicked and dragged a little here and there to see how the UI would respond. Saw how it responded and then readjusted the "allow" slots to the way I wanted them and clicked "apply" (or save or whatever) and went on my merry way. Some days later my granddaughter mentioned that she couldn't connect (even though she should've been able to). I went to the PC schedule page for her machine and found that sure enough, it showed that it was set to lock her out.

Turns out that happened to be the day on the schedule where I had first played around with the PC schedule screen, clicking and dragging all over the place (for that particular day) before finally resetting it to the way I wanted. So I changed it back to the way I wanted, re-saved, and it worked from then on.

I'm not 100% positive that it was my playing around and then resetting it to the way I wanted (twice) that actually fixed it, but it does coincide. I've reflashed firmware a couple (or three), resetting everything from scratch, and it's always worked.

Other than existing connections. Note RMerlin's response to this issue in the last paragraph of his post: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=78848&postcount=57

Successfully updated my RT-N66U from 26b to 32.beta3. No issues so far.

I will appreciate some advice how to check the OpenVPN from within the LAN. I am at home now and otherwise I should wait until Monday to check how the OpenVPN works from my office. I remember that an option existed, something like "enable NAT loopback" but didn't find it ...

Last edited:
Successfully updated my RT-N66U from 26b to 32.beta3. No issues so far.

I will appreciate some advice how to check the OpenVPN from within the LAN. I am at home now and otherwise I should wait until Monday to check how the OpenVPN works from my office. I remember that an option existed, something like "enable NAT loopback" but didn't find it ...

Asuswrt-Merlin has a NAT loopback implemented by default, there is no option needed to be enabled. Not sure how OpenVPN would work out over the loopback however.

One way to test OpenVPN is to configure a static IP on your router WAN in a different block than the LAN (for example, use 192.168.100.1). Set your computer to 192.168.100.2, unplug it, and plug it back on the WAN port of the router instead of the modem. Then try connecting with your OpenVPN client pointed at 192.168.100.1. That will at least help you confirm that your certificate and keys are properly configured.

Best to do this late at night if you have other folks relying on your Internet access tho ;)

Otherwise, you could temporarily enable WAN access to your router's web interface, so you would be able to adjust your configuration while at work. Just make sure you have a secure password on your router.

Asuswrt-Merlin has a NAT loopback implemented by default, there is no option needed to be enabled. Not sure how OpenVPN would work out over the loopback however.

Thank you RMerlin! I've checked the OpenVPN from within the LAN. It seems to be that it is working over the loopback. At least the certificates are properly installed and the client says "status: CONNECTED". The performance like speed, etc, I will check from the office next Monday. I am to lazy to play with configuration and plug/unplug devices on Saturday evening. And also my daughter and her boyfriend will kill me if I disturb the internet connection :)

Thank you RMerlin! I've checked the OpenVPN from within the LAN. It seems to be that it is working over the loopback. At least the certificates are properly installed and the client says "status: CONNECTED". The performance like speed, etc, I will check from the office next Monday. I am to lazy to play with configuration and plug/unplug devices on Saturday evening. And also my daughter and her boyfriend will kill me if I disturb the internet connection :)

Excellent :) Consider using TUN instead of TAP however. For the vast majority of uses (remote access to LAN devices), TUN will get the job done, and be much easier to configure and manage. TAP should only be used if you need to have a more "permanent" tunnel, being able to broadcast accross the tunnel, etc...

Excellent :) Consider using TUN instead of TAP however. For the vast majority of uses (remote access to LAN devices), TUN will get the job done, and be much easier to configure and manage. TAP should only be used if you need to have a more "permanent" tunnel, being able to broadcast accross the tunnel, etc...

I thing that TAP is much easier to configure, The concept is very simple - the client is like "just plugged in the my home's wall socket" and also I can easily use Windows clients to access all services of my LAN devices. My opinion is that the only disadvantage could be that the connection is possibly slower than TUN as TAP encapsulates packets at one layer lower - Ethernet. Did you performed any comparisons on that issue during your development work?

Thanks to RMerlin for the firmware.

I noticed that the GPL firmware 3.0.0.4.374.130 is now online at Asus website. Hope to see your next build RMerlin

5ghz band

I have a question.

I'm trying to connect to the 5ghz band and it doesn't show when I try to scan the network. What could be the problem? Last time I was able to do that before connect and see the ssid name. I've double checked to set the ssid not to hide the name. Does anyone know what I can do so far to enable 5ghz band? I'm on the 2.4ghz. Can you enable both bands at the same time? Or only one band can be enabled? Can you check if its a bug please.

I have the ac66r just to let you know what router I have. I'm having trouble on scanning my 5ghz band. If anyone can help I thank you.

Last edited:
I thing that TAP is much easier to configure, The concept is very simple - the client is like "just plugged in the my home's wall socket" and also I can easily use Windows clients to access all services of my LAN devices. My opinion is that the only disadvantage could be that the connection is possibly slower than TUN as TAP encapsulates packets at one layer lower - Ethernet. Did you performed any comparisons on that issue during your development work?

But if you have a DHCP server running on both sides of the TAP tunnel (like you almost always do), you will have issues. Same if you have devices with the same IP addresses.

I have a question.

I'm trying to connect to the 5ghz band and it doesn't show when I try to scan the network. What could be the problem? Last time I was able to do that before connect and see the ssid name. I've double checked to set the ssid not to hide the name. Does anyone know what I can do so far to enable 5ghz band? I'm on the 2.4ghz. Can you enable both bands at the same time? Or only one band can be enabled? Can you check if its a bug please.

I have the ac66r just to let you know what router I have. I'm having trouble on scanning my 5ghz band. If anyone can help I thank you.

Your wireless adapter needs to be dual-band. Not all adapters support the 5 GHz band.

But if you have a DHCP server running on both sides of the TAP tunnel (like you almost always do), you will have issues. Same if you have devices with the same IP addresses.

Yes, it could be an issue, but in the office the subnet is not the same as at home. In order to avoid such issues when the client is somewhere around the world I configured the home subnet as 192.168.xx where "xx" is not 1 or 100 :) The probability for any issues is very low as the majority of public subnets (in hotels, cafes, airports, etc.) are configured as 192.168.1.x :)

No problem, thanks for the precision.

In 374 Asus has improved the filesystem detection so hopefully it will no longer treat an ext2 disk as being ext4 on routers that don't support it. I haven't had the chance to test it yet however, will try to do so before pushing out the final 374 release.

Adding one more to the list here - I have an ext3 external that was mis-detected as an ext4 device. Router is RT-N66U (earlier hardware rev). Rescanning once the drive had already mounted resulted in the correct results, so perhaps we're dealing with a race condition where the device isn't ready and thus, failing?

Code:
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/4TBMedia type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)

Logs
Code:
admin@SPINNRROUTER:/tmp# grep sda syslog.log
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976754645 4096-byte hardware sectors (4000787 MB)
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976754645 4096-byte hardware sectors (4000787 MB)
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel:  sda: sda1
Dec 31 17:00:10 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
Dec 31 17:00:10 hotplug[313]: USB /dev/sda1(ext4) failed to mount at the first try!
Dec 31 17:00:11 kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Dec 31 17:00:11 hotplug[313]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/4TBMedia
Dec 31 17:00:17 hotplug[313]: USB /dev/sda1(ext4) failed to mount at the first try!
Dec 31 17:00:17 kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Dec 31 17:00:17 hotplug[313]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/4TBMedia
Aug 24 15:58:17 syslog: USB /dev/sda1(ext4) failed to mount at the first try!
Aug 24 15:58:17 kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Aug 24 15:58:17 syslog: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/4TBMedia

Last edited:
Adding one more to the list here - I have an ext3 external that was mis-detected as an ext4 device. Router is RT-N66U (earlier hardware rev). Rescanning once the drive had already mounted resulted in the correct results, so perhaps we're dealing with a race condition where the device isn't ready and thus, failing?

When Asus added ext4 support for the ARM-based router they changed the fs detection code. The code they initially used was wrong, incorrectly detecting various ext filesystems as being ext4. Other parts of the FW correctly detected it as ext2/ext3.

With 374 they now only compile the ext4 detection code if the target platform actually supports it, which should resolve the issue.

/usr/sbin/app_fsck.sh: eval: line 1: fsck.ext4: not found

How to fix that ? ext4 hdd on rt-ac68u... latest beta...x83

/usr/sbin/app_fsck.sh: eval: line 1: fsck.ext4: not found

How to fix that ? ext4 hdd on rt-ac68u... latest beta...x83

That firmware is quite old, you will have to upgrade.