What's new

AsusWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Hello,
Just wondering if there is anything Asus can do to prevent installing/running the Merlin firmware after the FCC June deadline? Would it be better to purchase router now rather than after June?
Dieter

Yes, they are in complete control. If they wanted to, they would and can block it.

However, RMerlin has already stated that Asus and at least one other manufacturer has indicated that they are looking forward to working with developers of third party firmware for their routers in the near and far future. ;)

Does this mean that if I purchase a router today, their post June firmware updates might block Merlin firmware from running? Or they will remove some current features which might go against the FCC block? If so, which features might that be? (ie. WiFi Radio power tuning?)
Does the Merlin firmware have any features not allowed by the FCC?

I have actually been discussing this recently with Asus. To reiterate what was previously said, Asus has no intention of locking me (or other third party firmware authors) out of their routers. They value the third party firmware community as an important part of their product platform. Whatever mechanism they are implementing to comply with the FCC will involve ensuring that third party firmware that are also compliant will still be allowed.

I can't share any details at the moment, I can only repeat that Asuswrt-Merlin will still be flashable on all the current models, even after the June deadline. At worst, older releases might no longer be flashable, but a new release would be.

I have actually been discussing this recently with Asus. To reiterate what was previously said, Asus has no intention of locking me (or other third party firmware authors) out of their routers. They value the third party firmware community as an important part of their product platform. Whatever mechanism they are implementing to comply with the FCC will involve ensuring that third party firmware that are also compliant will still be allowed.

I can't share any details at the moment, I can only repeat that Asuswrt-Merlin will still be flashable on all the current models, even after the June deadline. At worst, older releases might no longer be flashable, but a new release would be.

Thank you. I guess I will wait out the delivery of the RT-AC68A form Amazon and hope I can install your firmware. They have not yet given a release date for this item.

Thank you. I guess I will wait out the delivery of the RT-AC68A form Amazon and hope I can install your firmware. They have not yet given a release date for this item.

Note that I don't know anything about that RT-AC68A, so I cannot guarantee that my firmware will be compatible with it. Only the RT-AC68U, RT-AC68R and RT-AC68P have been tested.

Note that I don't know anything about that RT-AC68A, so I cannot guarantee that my firmware will be compatible with it. Only the RT-AC68U, RT-AC68R and RT-AC68P have been tested.

I understand... but willing to give it a try if they don't delay the release date much past mid April.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!