What's new

AT66U "Sudden" loss of Wireless Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ember1205

Occasional Visitor
Both the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless frequencies recently dropped performance significantly, and I can't seem to figure out where to start.

No new firmware, and I think mostly all of the same WiFi devices (I added a couple of smart switches to the 2.4GHz band). No configuration changes.

I've restarted everything and made sure that the "Airtime Fairness" was turned off (this was causing a ton of trouble for me in another location on a different router).

Can someone suggest a good starting place or a "known good" sort of configuration that should get me my performance back? I'm preparing to cut the cord and this is a show-stopper now.

Do your WiFi signals appear to be the same power as before?

Do you see any overlapping neighbor signals with competing power levels?

OE

Do your WiFi signals appear to be the same power as before?

Do you see any overlapping neighbor signals with competing power levels?

OE

I can't say whether I see a change in signals or anything because I don't have a specific recording or recollection of what they were.

As far as overlap from a neighbor or some other device - what's the most effective way for me to trace something like that? I have iOS and Android phones in the house if that offers some methods to help with troubleshooting.

I can't say whether I see a change in signals or anything because I don't have a specific recording or recollection of what they were.

As far as overlap from a neighbor or some other device - what's the most effective way for me to trace something like that? I have iOS and Android phones in the house if that offers some methods to help with troubleshooting.

Try Android WiFi Analyzer Classic app to see signals around you. Up close to the router can be around -30 dBm. The graph view has a 2.4/5.0 toggle in the upper left margin for switching bands... it disappears so you have to touch for it.

OE

I used the WiFi Analyzer and definitely see improperly configured / operating neighbor networks that are stepping all over mine. I'm going to try manually setting the channels on mine and then might have to talk to the neighbors. Problem is, the neighbors likely have cable-co managed devices and there might not be anything I can do about their configurations.

I used the WiFi Analyzer and definitely see improperly configured / operating neighbor networks that are stepping all over mine. I'm going to try manually setting the channels on mine and then might have to talk to the neighbors. Problem is, the neighbors likely have cable-co managed devices and there might not be anything I can do about their configurations.

So their WiFi is similar power to yours? Both 2.4 and 5.0 bands?

OE

No, theirs registers as lower power at the point where I'm having issues with a specific device. However, they are using a 40MHz channel width while mine was set to 20/40/80 (auto). I changed the control channel and narrowed the channel width to 40MHz and see no overlap now.

Back to testing.

No, theirs registers as lower power at the point where I'm having issues with a specific device. However, they are using a 40MHz channel width while mine was set to 20/40/80 (auto). I changed the control channel and narrowed the channel width to 40MHz and see no overlap now.

Back to testing.
As long as you get 20dB better signal than neighbours you can reuse those channel and useing 80MHz will double speed compared to 40.

Both the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless frequencies recently dropped performance significantly, and I can't seem to figure out where to start.

Considering the age of the Router/AP - the RT-AC66U has been out for some time now - if the other options don't provide some relief - it could be the AC adapter going soft, or capacitors failing on the board.

Considering the age of the Router/AP - the RT-AC66U has been out for some time now - if the other options don't provide some relief - it could be the AC adapter going soft, or capacitors failing on the board.

I have only owned this one for maybe a year or so. I would hope that it isn't failing, but clearly there's not necessarily a way to tell.

I'm considering a "heavy upgrade" to the gear because cutting the cord is a necessary step. And I have no option to hardwire the main TV.

I get around 20dB better signal, but trying to leverage the 80 MHz causes way more problems. Must be on the fringe. I'm going to talk to my neighbor and see if he'd be willing to shift his to a different control channel so there's no overlap.

I have only owned this one for maybe a year or so. I would hope that it isn't failing, but clearly there's not necessarily a way to tell.

If it was "fresh out of the box" and only in service for a year, you're probably fine...

If it was "fresh out of the box" and only in service for a year, you're probably fine...

To be very precise, my router is a RT-AC66U_B1. I believe that's actually a slightly newer version of the original and wouldn't be quite as old?

It was brand new when I got it, roughly a year ago. Maybe as long as 18 months.

What sort of "big difference"? How similar is the B1 to the 68U in your mind? I have a 68U in another location, and it would seem a pretty different animal.

Apologies - don't know where my brain was...

My other router is an RT-AC3100. Sorry.

In looking at that other thread, though, it made me wonder - would adding another router and using the AI MESH potentially help me out? Or would that second router need to ALSO be hardwired before the AI MESH would be an option?

Aimesh can connect wirelessly or wired (with latest firmware) whatever it sees.

Apologies - don't know where my brain was...

My other router is an RT-AC3100. Sorry.

In looking at that other thread, though, it made me wonder - would adding another router and using the AI MESH potentially help me out? Or would that second router need to ALSO be hardwired before the AI MESH would be an option?

What problem are you trying to solve? If you want to extend WiFi coverage, over what size area and can you interconnect with Ethernet?

OE

I am fixed with where wired connectivity is available - second floor, one end of the house. Neighbors have stronger wifi signal downstairs, and that's what I needed to improve.

I suspect that AI MESH between the two floors would suffer the same issues as a regular client device. True?

Also, does it improve WiFi signal in the secondary location or just turn wireless to wired?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!