What's new

AX-86U: Internet LED Solid Red Light - Cannot login router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ARGH...

Last night, I was reading up on router problems, while listening to YouTube videos. Then all the sudden, my Macbook is the only device that gets disconnect from my network (via ethernet cable).

I had nordvpn on and little snitch on.

After a day's errands, I come back tonight, and my macbook still wouldn't work.

I had to turn off vpn and turn down little snitch (which I had just installed and not modification, after a few hours did the macbook disconnect.)

I'm starting my macbook and network from scratch, and I don't know which ingredients are in which cooking pots.

I'm taking things slowly.

Should I disconnect the app from the router? ASUS account and all?

Also, I forgot to mention my new router model not exactly similar, since it has an added "pro" at the end.

I don't know what your issue is. Accessing the WebUI is the simplest first step. It even pops up automatically in form of Quick Internet Setup right after reset on first connect to the default open Wi-Fi network. You need to read the User Guide and go from there. It's a home device for non-tech people.

In a similar situation to mine, when flashing Merlin firmware, you should be able to see a message about CFE crash in the system log.

I don't know what your issue is. Accessing the WebUI is the simplest first step. It even pops up automatically in form of Quick Internet Setup right after reset on first connect to the default open Wi-Fi network. You need to read the User Guide and go from there. It's a home device for non-tech people.

I wish I could agree with you. But I just tried it again.

No Internet connection on my ASUS, just a red LED. Therefore, no access to router IP address.

I had to set up through my phone app again.

In a similar situation to mine, when flashing Merlin firmware, you should be able to see a message about CFE crash in the system log.

I can't log into the router ip address.

====

I just stumbled into the possibility about DOUBLE NAT.

Could that be an issue?

Also, still catching up on Ozark's thing about cable connection. Trying to wrap my head around that one.

I can't log into the router ip address.

====

I just stumbled into the possibility about DOUBLE NAT.

Could that be an issue?

Also, still catching up on Ozark's thing about cable connection. Trying to wrap my head around that one.
Attempt to find the router's IP address using Asus's 'Discovery' tool. If that still doesn't work, try using Asus's rescue mode to flash the latest official firmware, and then flash Merlin 387. This should allow you to see the detailed error messages in the system log. If you cannot even enter rescue mode, then it is likely that the router's 'CFE' is damaged.

Attempt to find the router's IP address using Asus's 'Discovery' tool. If that still doesn't work, try using Asus's rescue mode to flash the latest official firmware, and then flash Merlin 387. This should allow you to see the detailed error messages in the system log. If you cannot even enter rescue mode, then it is likely that the router's 'CFE' is damaged.

Thanks. But everything I can do, is only through the phone app. Without it, it's just a solid red on the Internet LED, which means the router doesn't recognize any Internet connection from the modem. ... While ISP and I can confirm that the modem works.

For some reason, I can only set up my regular ax86u through my phone app, and I cannot access my router through IP address (although I do know the IP address, which is the default manufacturer's).

============

I just ran a traceroute on terminal app:

Screenshot 2024-06-14 rD.jpg

Well, I guess it doesn't seem to be Double NAT.

Just called ASUS Tech Support

After pushing #9 on phone directory, an automated message about connectivity issues with router. "During routine security maintenance, our technical team discovered an error in the configuration of our server settings file, which could potentially cause an interruption in network connectivity on part of the routers."

But this was on May 18th. I haven't been around until beginning of June.

Thanks. But everything I can do, is only through the phone app. Without it, it's just a solid red on the Internet LED, which means the router doesn't recognize any Internet connection from the modem. ... While ISP and I can confirm that the modem works.

For some reason, I can only set up my regular ax86u through my phone app, and I cannot access my router through IP address (although I do know the IP address, which is the default manufacturer's).

============

I just ran a traceroute on terminal app:

View attachment 59480

Well, I guess it doesn't seem to be Double NAT.

You mention a few times that you can only use the app because the internet light is red. It shouldn’t make any difference. The Ethernet or wireless connection between your MacBook and the router is a completely separate thing. People configure routers locally before connecting them to the internet. You don’t an internet connection to get into the router setup.

The advice so far seems solid, but you need to ditch the app and administer locally using the MacBook via the browser as you have been instructed. You don’t appear to be doing this. If Safari doesn’t work after you’ve cleared the browser cache, try an alternative browser.

WebGUI doesn't have nor require an account. If you are asking about Asus App things - as far as I remember the account is optional.

i meant whether an apple macos profile would make a difference.

otherwise, it's pretty frustrating that a new macbook can't access WebGUI

No idea what is the condition of your computer. There is no issue accessing WebGUI with Safari in macOS.

I thought it might've been the Network configurations in settings (filters, firewall).

Or it might be Safari extensions and settings.

Or it might be little snitch.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!