What's new

AX and AC devices combined?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DFRNT

New Around Here
I just bought one ZenWifi XT8 v2 (AX) and already have an AiMesh with 2 AC devices.

The idea is to use the AX as the router (replacing the AC device which will be sold)

1) I assume using the AX as the main router is preferable to fully leverage WiFi 6. Is this correct? Which capabilities would I loose if I keep the AC device as router, and use the AX as a node?

2) Is it possible to switch to the AX as a router, but keep the entire network (SSID etc) intact? I would love not having to setup up the entire network and connect all peripheral devices again.

3) Is Ethernet backhaul advantageous in a small network covering approx 160 sqm? Or can it bring new unforeseen problems?

4) And most embarrassing: I am having issues with adding the new AX device to the existing mesh (using the ASUS iOS app). I remember this was the easiest part setting up the mesh initially with my two AC devices. The device is found, but the setup doesn't complete and just prompts it's a connection issue (I'm literally doing this with the new device next to the router. I feel like a total noob. What am I missing?

Remove the old AC devices, use the new ZenWiFi XT8 system only. Most likely good enough for 160sqm.

You have to reconfigure your network from scratch. Wired backhaul when available is much better than wireless.

You can try to save your config on the old devices and upload it to the new one, but probably faster to just redo it from scratch, as Tech9 mentioned it. And yes, always use wired backhaul, whenever you can and even when you think you cant.

I have only two 50sqm levels, but they have (ironbar)reinforced concrete beams between them, and the three RT-AX53U cant fully cover that! :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!