What's new

AX56U traffic log questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wongcc2006

New Around Here
I have just reviewed my router setting recently and found that the traffic history only stored for one month by default.

I wish to change the setting to store more history (let say 6 months)

1722759407918.png

Is it a good idea to store the traffic history to custom location and move it to like /var or /tmp?
Any suggestion or best practice?
Will it keep after a reboot?

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs 77.8M 62.6M 15.2M 80% /
devtmpfs 249.1M 0 249.1M 0% /dev
tmpfs 249.2M 3.2M 245.9M 1% /var
tmpfs 249.2M 4.0M 245.1M 2% /tmp/mnt
ubi1:data 4.5M 88.0K 4.1M 2% /data
tmpfs 249.2M 4.0M 245.1M 2% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9 47.0M 8.8M 38.2M 19% /jffs

1722759432939.png

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs 77.8M 62.6M 15.2M 80% /
devtmpfs 249.1M 0 249.1M 0% /dev
tmpfs 249.2M 3.2M 245.9M 1% /var
ubi1:data 4.5M 88.0K 4.1M 2% /data
tmpfs 249.2M 4.0M 245.1M 2% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9 47.0M 8.8M 38.2M 19% /jffs

Any suggestion or best practice?

There is no best practice with optional settings. Traffic history stores traffic information for >1 month for sure and you can use USB stick to save it so it doesn't get lost on reboot. It's straight forward self-explanatory optional setting, works properly and nothing needs to be done additionally.

When saving on a new location:

Custom location
Every 1 hour
<the path to custom location>
Create or reset - Yes (first time)
Starting day of the month 1
Apply at the bottom of the page

Daily logs will start showing after 1h
Monthly logs will start showing after 1 month (as far as I remember)

Last edited:
I use the standard process to save the traffic monitor file to USB every hour.

I prefer to keep the daily traffic data for the long term, though, so I run a "copy_logs" script every morning as a scheduled cron job. It performs a number of housekeeping functions, including archiving the system log to the same USB and alerting to the syslog if, for some reason, the hourly copy of the traffic file hasn't been updated in the last 24 hours (trust but verify).

Since the traffic file holds more than a month of daily data, no further archiving is required for that amount of time. On the first of the month, that same script creates a monthly archive copy of the traffic file. At the same time, it also saves a compressed .tar file copy of the /jffs partition and a current .tar file copy of nvram to the USB.

If I want to view the archived traffic data, there's an Excel macro-based tool available for doing that.

Last edited:
This traffic data monitor may not be very accurate with NAT acceleration enabled. Usually there is a difference between Traffic Analyzer (Trend Micro engine), Traffic Monitor and ISP measured traffic. May be used for approximate data use only, whatever the ISP logs is considered actual.

I use the standard process to save the traffic monitor file to USB every hour.

I prefer to keep the daily traffic data for the long term, though, so I run a "copy_logs" script every morning as a scheduled cron job. It performs a number of housekeeping functions, including archiving the system log to the same USB and alerting to the syslog if, for some reason, the hourly copy of the traffic file hasn't been updated in the last 24 hours (trust but verify).

Since the traffic file holds more than a month of daily data, no further archiving is required for that amount of time. On the first of the month, that same script creates a monthly archive copy of the traffic file. At the same time, it also saves a compressed .tar file copy of the /jffs partition and a current .tar file copy of nvram to the USB.

If I want to view the archived traffic data, there's an Excel macro-based tool available for doing that.

what do you mean by "for some reason, the hourly copy of the traffic file hasn't been updated in the last 24 hours"?

The Traffic Monitoring history have some limitation?

Can you share the cron job and how can I save / run it in the router?

tmpfs, is this storage based on RAM? and it will clear when the device is being rebooted?

You need USB drive connected and save the data to custom location (the USB drive) to make it survive reboot. As mentioned above it stores data for daily and monthly traffic with no issues. No extra cron jobs needed, just use the settings in GUI. It's pretty straight forward and works well.