What's new

jffs partition is read-only and cannot format-restore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You made a post here about flashing 388.7 which cleared up the JFFS error(s):
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...ree-jffs-storage-gt-ax6000.91194/#post-920561
Yea none of this is working now. Have tried the factory hard reset, WPS, reset through GUI with initialize everything checked. Nothing is working.

I think the last resort is to try the firmware restoration tool. Everytime i try and flash any firmware, its giving me the firmware upgrade is unsuccessful error. My RT66 ended up as a paperweight, my RT86 did the same, looking like I may be batting 3 for 3 on these.

I was able to solve the problem using all the suggestions provided here plus some additional linux tool/knowledge from the forums.
So I explained befere my problem was that I could not umount /jffs due to resource device busy and then the same applies for ubirmvol vol id of jffs. Lsof was essentially useless but fuser -m /jffs pointed me towards both syslog and asd.
While getting rid of syslog was not a problem , the asd was a different story.The process kept restarting after every kill keepin a lock to /jffs. I found below tips within another thread about killing asd :
Code:
touch /tmp/killasd && killall asd && mount --bind /tmp/killasd /usr/bin/asd
Once asd was finnaly gone umount and ubirmvol did not produce anny errors and I was able to recreate jffs using the steps described in previous posts.
Hope it helps.

I was able to solve the problem using all the suggestions provided here plus some additional linux tool/knowledge from the forums.
So I explained befere my problem was that I could not umount /jffs due to resource device busy and then the same applies for ubirmvol vol id of jffs. Lsof was essentially useless but fuser -m /jffs pointed me towards both syslog and asd.
While getting rid of syslog was not a problem , the asd was a different story.The process kept restarting after every kill keepin a lock to /jffs. I found below tips within another thread about killing asd :
Code:
Once asd was finnaly gone umount and ubirmvol did not produce anny errors and I was able to recreate jffs using the steps described in previous posts.
Hope it helps.
Hey can you provide step by step, on how to unlock the jffs?

Hey can you provide step by step, on how to unlock the jffs?

Sure, I can try. Just remember that it may be slightly different for many users due to different processes running in the background. Additionally, such actions may brick your router if something goes terribly wrong.
You've been warned. I also assume this is the jffs read only issue. Credits to below posts from this forum:

1. Disable usage of jffs scripts within web gui.

2. ssh onto the box

3. Execute
Bash:
umount /jffs
If above cmd returns no error proceed to point no. 4.

3a. If umount /jffs returns an error with devise/resource busy, then it means some process is still holding some lock to the /jjfs file. We need to find out what it is and kill it.
Execute
Bash:
fuser -m /jffs

3b. It should return something like below:
Bash:
admin@GT-AX6000-6E78:/tmp/home/root# fuser -m /jffs/
1452 2396
Identify running processes using ps and numbers from previous command. Like below:
Bash:
admin@GT-AX6000-6E78:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep 1452
 1452 admin     3328 S    /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /jffs/syslog.log -s 512 -l 7

Bash:
admin@GT-AX6000-6E78:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep 2396
 2396 admin    12140 S    asd
3c. Kill those processes you have identified in the previous steps
Bash:
killall syslogd

####Different processes may pop up here, but the general rule remains the same - we need to get rid of those to proceed. asd kill option found below

3d. Retry umount from the point no. 3

Bash:
#Confirm volume 13 is the jffs one
ubinfo --devn=0 --vol_id=13

#This should return:

: '

Volume ID:   13 (on ubi0)

Type:        dynamic

Alignment:   1

Size:        413 LEBs (52441088 bytes, 50.0 MiB)

State:       OK

Name:        jffs2

'

#Otherwise stop

#Delete volume 13 (we can't use it anyways)

ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 --vol_id=13

#Recreate volume 13 (with the same MiB as listed above!)

ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 --vol_id=13 -s 50MiB -N jffs2

reboot

5. Enable jffs scripts.

Sure, I can try. Just remember that it may be slightly different for many users due to different processes running in the background. Additionally, such actions may brick your router if something goes terribly wrong.
You've been warned. I also assume this is the jffs read only issue. Credits to below posts from this forum:

1. Disable usage of jffs scripts within web gui.

2. ssh onto the box

3. Execute
Bash:
umount /jffs
If above cmd returns no error proceed to point no. 4.

3a. If umount /jffs returns an error with devise/resource busy, then it means some process is still holding some lock to the /jjfs file. We need to find out what it is and kill it.
Execute
Bash:
fuser -m /jffs

3b. It should return something like below:
Bash:
admin@GT-AX6000-6E78:/tmp/home/root# fuser -m /jffs/
1452 2396
Identify running processes using ps and numbers from previous command. Like below:
Bash:
admin@GT-AX6000-6E78:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep 1452
 1452 admin     3328 S    /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /jffs/syslog.log -s 512 -l 7

Bash:
admin@GT-AX6000-6E78:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep 2396
 2396 admin    12140 S    asd
3c. Kill those processes you have identified in the previous steps
Bash:
killall syslogd

####Different processes may pop up here, but the general rule remains the same - we need to get rid of those to proceed. asd kill option found below

3d. Retry umount from the point no. 3

Bash:
#Confirm volume 13 is the jffs one
ubinfo --devn=0 --vol_id=13

#This should return:

: '

Volume ID:   13 (on ubi0)

Type:        dynamic

Alignment:   1

Size:        413 LEBs (52441088 bytes, 50.0 MiB)

State:       OK

Name:        jffs2

'

#Otherwise stop

#Delete volume 13 (we can't use it anyways)

ubirmvol /dev/ubi0 --vol_id=13

#Recreate volume 13 (with the same MiB as listed above!)

ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 --vol_id=13 -s 50MiB -N jffs2

reboot

5. Enable jffs scripts.
thank you, looks like my jffs router volume is either missing or corrupt, so im returning my router just now.