What's new

AX86U Check my settings please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quite a discussion going on here. Now I am really confused.

RT-AX86u PRo, so far mostly just very slow speeds. 35 -49 Mbps.

quite a discussion going on here. Now I am really confused.

RT-AX86u PRo, so far mostly just very slow speeds. 35 -49 Mbps.
@Tech9 settings are pretty solid.

Without what your running hard for anyone to help. Are you running Merlin, what version. Any other firmware too. Put that in your sig.
Post screen captures of your 2.4 & 5g, including professional, settings.

Now I am really confused.

Better continue in your own thread here:

All your questions and answers will be in one place.

@Tech9 settings are pretty solid.

Without what your running hard for anyone to help. Are you running Merlin, what version. Any other firmware too. Put that in your sig.
Post screen captures of your 2.4 & 5g, including professional, settings.
Right now everything is back to factory settings. i'll leave them alone for a few days as I hasve other issues to attend to for now.

Thanks

I didn't realize that I had posting o two different threads.

sort of an update.

After spending over and hour and half on the phone with tech support they finally got the speeds up to blazing 36 to 45 Mbps but only on 2.4 . Never got 5 G connected and they have up scaled me to a higher tech support who will contact in 2 or 3 days.

So far I am not happy with the RTAX86U PRO purchase.

Maybe I should return it and the 15% restock hit.
That's what I get for buying direct instead of from another retailer (Walmart) with free returns..

Tech9, I did use the setting that you posted before I contacted tech support. Just FYI.
They only actually made a few changes after all was said and done, an a couple on the professional settings section. but no biggy.

I actually the 5g working myself before support but only at 6 -12 Mbps.

A side note is I get 45 or 50 Mbps direct WAN . I am supposed to have 1Gig from the Cable ISP. They checked the RAM usage setting and said that the router was getting about 1 Gig. They suggested that I get a CAT6 cable, I asked if the cable that came with the new unit was Cat 6 (that didn't work) and they said no! I find that funny.

sort of an update.

After spending over and hour and half on the phone with tech support they finally got the speeds up to blazing 36 to 45 Mbps but only on 2.4 . Never got 5 G connected and they have up scaled me to a higher tech support who will contact in 2 or 3 days.

So far I am not happy with the RTAX86U PRO purchase.

Maybe I should return it and the 15% restock hit.
That's what I get for buying direct instead of from another retailer (Walmart) with free returns..

Tech9, I did use the setting that you posted before I contacted tech support. Just FYI.
They only actually made a few changes after all was said and done, an a couple on the professional settings section. but no biggy.

I actually the 5g working myself before support but only at 6 -12 Mbps.

A side note is I get 45 or 50 Mbps direct WAN . I am supposed to have 1Gig from the Cable ISP. They checked the RAM usage setting and said that the router was getting about 1 Gig. They suggested that I get a CAT6 cable, I asked if the cable that came with the new unit was Cat 6 (that didn't work) and they said no! I find that funny.

So much to unpack here. I'm not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you are not very experienced with wireless networking.

First and foremost, do you still have your old router (and, if so, is it also running Merlin firmware)? If you do, I suggest creating a spreadsheet with all of the settings from the old router so that you can manually enter those in on the new one. I'd also suggest downloading a tool like WiFi Analyzer or something that will show you more details about your network and possible interfering networks around you. For example, I once moved into a new place and found out that my network was operating in the exact same frequencies/channels as a neighbor and it was causing issues.

In addition, are you sure your devices were originally connected to the 5Ghz network on your old router? Because those devices need to support 5Ghz technology in order to connect to it and not all wireless devices do. The default is 2.4Ghz and that can be disrupted by a myriad of things including running your microwave.

As far as the connections and speeds are concerned, casual users generally don't use traffic over ~368 Mbps, so the need for Cat6 cables is kind of a moot point. Furthermore, your data transfer rates could also be limited by the modem (which, for consumers, modems are generally capped at ~368 Mbps as well). So unless you are doing heavy amounts of traffic you wouldn't even need the 1Gbps connection you claim you were getting before (nor the 500 Mbps you say you are paying for now).

Since a significant amount of time has passed since your original post, my suggestion would be to download and flash the latest stable Merlin firmware 3004.388.7 and do what I previously said with the settings from your old router.

Thanks, yes I am not very experienced with router setup at all. My old Asus is rt-ac66u B1. Yes us had both 2.4 and 5 G wifi. It was factory firmware and settings. I never even updated the firmware until last year and then again in May of this year. Need had Merlin on it.
On the new ax-86u pro I had Merlin on it the latest and Asus said to take it off that they did not support Merlin. I would need to contact Merlin. So I put factory back on it. Still no ,5G.

You can get help here or deal with Asus support. Choose one of the two options. I told you I can help, many folks around can and will help, you called Asus support instead. I'm out.

I will make an effort.... For the OP

I am using the same model router - with my own modem CM1200 xfinity service 500mbs

I used Merlin a while very successfully speeds were 580/620 on hard wire lan and 5g wireless was 480 (near router). Asus fixed a firmware issue that caused me to try Merlin and I now am on the latest Asus firmware very successfully as well with same speeds.

Please try simple -- reset your router completely do not save anything (check the box) -- preform setup from scratch doing only what you need (passwords and SSID) please ensure WAP2 personal is the security mode for this test. Please no other changes.

After router setup turn the power switch on the back off - next turn off your modem

While they sit turned off - forget the the network on the testing wireless device, this is very important step

In this order 1- turn on the modem wait for full boot up 2- turn the power switch on the router on wait for full boot up 3- re-find your wireless and input the passkey

Now while staying close to the router conduct a speed test (as already noted it will very from your wired connection if you have one).

Key points - leave the wireless bands combined for your test, in close proximity your device will choose the 5g band.

If this succeeds - make changes one at a time so you know what does not work. The default settings will keep your home network safe. At one time or another we have all suffered from moving things without understanding, methodical change with testing=learning.

All the best - Bill

You can get help here or deal with Asus support. Choose one of the two options. I told you I can help, many folks around can and will help, you called Asus support instead. I'm out.
Very sorry I apologize. I just contacted Asus in case I need to exchange for a new router. Their support is not helpful.
I am seeking help here.
I tried to post a copy of my 5 G settings but it didn't paste exactly as it shows on my screen. But maybe it is good enough. It shows both 2.4 and 5G in band instead of 5G

@laptop, every time I try to help you and I'm available including with private messages you have something else to do, the router is not close, you don't see or are unable to answer any of my questions. You used Asus App, then WebGUI, flashed 3rd party firmware for unknown reason, reverted to stock Asuswrt, called Asus Support and made some changes... I have no idea what the current status of your router is and I have no possible way to help you.

@laptop, every time I try to help you and I'm available including with private messages you have something else to do, the router is not close, you don't see or are unable to answer any of my questions. You used Asus App, then WebGUI, flashed 3rd party firmware for unknown reason, reverted to stock Asuswrt, called Asus Support and made some changes... I have no idea what the current status of your router is and I have no possible way to help you.
So sorry, I am in my 70's, partially disabled and in poor health I can only do certain things for a short period of time. . I you help me that will be good , if not I understand. I do thank you for you help you have been very helpful.
I have limited time that I spend on the computer at a time.
I flashed third party firmware because I have read so much about the Merlin firmware I though it would be a good thing to do..
I will be offline for about 4 hours now.

I am back to factory firmware.
I am posting the setting again below.

Wireless - General

Set up the wireless related information below.
Enable Smart Connect
iphone_switch_container_on.png

Band 2.4 GHz5 GHz
Network Name (SSID)
Hide SSIDYes No
Wireless Mode AutoAX onlyN/AC/AX mixedLegacy
802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode Enable Disable If compatibility issue occurs when enabling 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode, please check: FAQ
WiFi Agile Multiband Enable Disable
Target Wake Time Enable Disable
Channel bandwidth 20/40/80/160 MHz20 MHz40 MHz80 MHz160 MHz Enable 160 MHz
Control ChannelAuto3640444852566064100104108112116120124128132136140144149153157161 Current Control Channel: 36
Auto select channel including DFS channels

Extension Channel Auto
Authentication Method Open SystemWPA2-PersonalWPA3-PersonalWPA/WPA2-PersonalWPA2/WPA3-PersonalWPA2-EnterpriseWPA/WPA2-EnterpriseWPA3-EnterpriseWPA3-Enterprise 192-bitWPA2/WPA3-Enterprise
WPA Encryption AES
WPA Pre-Shared Key
Weak
Protected Management Frames DisableCapableRequired
Group Key Rotation Interval

I believe someone has to stop by and help you on the spot setting up this router.

What you posted above is unusable for troubleshooting. It only shows all available WebGUI options with no indication what is actually selected.

I have been able to connect 5G to a couple of Android devices, I.E. Phones and TV's. but no Windows Computers. My old router was an AC not AX. Do I need a different network driver other than below?

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

Thanks

@laptop - A search of that adapter indicates it is not a AC card (not 5G) that is why it will not connect to the 5G band, it should work nicely on the 2.4 band.

On your RT-AX86U Pro - using the default settings will allow the router to connect to the "best" band for each of your devices. -- Bill

I have been able to connect 5G to a couple of Android devices, I.E. Phones and TV's. but no Windows Computers. My old router was an AC not AX. Do I need a different network driver other than below?

Thanks
I have not been able to find a different network driver to download. My other computer are probably in the same boat even tough they are different brands.
I may be better off to go back to my old AC66U until I can afford to upgrade a couple of laptops.

I actually don't find the new RT-AX86U PRO to have any better distance coverage either.

I am guessing the router setting are all OK set as Tech9 recommended.
Thank you for all the help.

I have not been able to find a different network driver to download. My other computer are probably in the same boat even tough they are different brands.
The physical wireless card would have to be changed to get 5G working not just the driver (may not be practical)

I may be better off to go back to my old AC66U until I can afford to upgrade a couple of laptops.
Unless you are planning to return the Rt-AX86U Pro it would easily handle the "older" machines, and you will be ready for any new changes.

I actually don't find the new RT-AX86U PRO to have any better distance coverage either.
Asus does list this unit for large homes - I find mine to have improved range over my old RT-AC68U - there are so many things such as minor (or major) router placement changes may help a lot. Even minor antenna adjustments can make notable differences.

It seems you are making changes to try to get things better, be sure to "forget" the network on the clients and re-connect. I have experienced slow connections and found forgetting and then re-establishing connections will ensure a "stored" setting on your devices (saved networks) does not interfere with the best results.

Thank you. I do believe that the 2.4 g has a better distance than the ac66u.
If I return it to Asus it will cost me 15% restocking since it appears that it is not defective, so I am sort of forced to keep it. If I got from a retailer you can return without consequences.
I guess I learned another lesson. Don't buy from the mfg buy from a retail

Thank you. I do believe that the 2.4 g has a better distance than the ac66u.
If I return it to Asus it will cost me 15% restocking since it appears that it is not defective, so I am sort of forced to keep it. If I got from a retailer you can return without consequences.
I guess I learned another lesson. Don't buy from the mfg buy from a retail
If you don't really need the AX86 Pro, I would rather paid the 15% stock fee and at least get some of my money back. If you decide to keep it, keep it as your main driver and I would try to sell my older Asus router thru FB marketplace, ebay/mercari or locally. Someone is always looking to buy older Asus routers. I sold quite a few used AC68U routers. Best of luck!

Try here as well:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!