What's new

AX86U Merlin and Cake QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I assume it’s something peculiar about Asus setting up the vlan35 interface, but I’m not familiar with that part. Would it ever work after a fresh reboot before?
Download did yes. Upload never worked with Cake QoS until I put in your code.

Why do you need this QoS so badly @anotherengineer? Do you have any real issue with something? I'm not a gamer and never chased lowest latency possible, but from my experience no QoS with full Runner and Flow Cache enabled gives best overall Internet experience with this router. You can't fix latency issues upstream and your ISP has QoS applied already.

Why do you need this QoS so badly @anotherengineer? Do you have any real issue with something? I'm not a gamer and never chased lowest latency possible, but from my experience no QoS with full Runner and Flow Cache enabled gives best overall Internet experience with this router. You can't fix latency issues upstream and your ISP has QoS applied already.
Ya, I don't really need it for everyday stuff, has been not much of an issue for everyday use w/o QoS.

Loaded tests were strange without QoS as in 100ms to 1200ms and all over the place. My old cable (900/10) never on QoS was never like that, but this 250/30 fibreop is (the highest speed I can get here). As for ISP and QoS, who knows, it's NorthernTel up here.

I'm about 750km from Toronto and have a retired buddy in Mexico so when we talk/game online (steam) he said he was getting lag and almost disconnects with the fibre connection I'm on, and didn't really have an issue when I was on cable. After enabling cake and dave14305 helping with the cake upload, he said it's been good. No low latency here, usually ping 55ms to NYNY. So more to help him out than me.

Maybe there is something between Bell's main hubs between Ottawa/Toronto and Timmins?

Occasionally I work from home, not sure if this will help with teams meetings or not? Also have 2 kids and a wife always streaming as well not sure if it will make a difference for that either? Probably not?

Maybe it's something I didn't configure correctly in the router? I basically had to copy the mac address from the bell issued actiontec R3000 router over to the ax86u and put in the vlan manually as well. I'm a mech engineer, not no network expert so most of this stuff I'm just trying to learn on the go with no real supporting basics/experience/education.

Full runner and flow cache? Where are they located, maybe I can try that out.

Thanks

If you have ISP line issue - QoS won't help. If you have issues with own equipment - the ISP support won't help. I would test the line with the ISP provided router first. People jump to replace ISP gateways right away with own routers and this is not always resulting in improvements.

If you have ISP line issue - QoS won't help. If you have issues with own equipment - the ISP support won't help. I would test the line with the ISP provided router first. People jump to replace ISP gateways right away with own routers and this is not always resulting in improvements.
Maybe, but I have a printer, a NAS, a switch, an AP, etc. The stock bell router was a bit challenging with that, but something to test I suppose. As for the AX86U I bought it a year before I changed over to fibreop.

Test the ISP line with wired PC to the Gateway. Play with your friend and see how it goes. Your network can still be driven by your Asus router once you clear the problem. If it's better - test your Asus router with stock Asuswrt and all Trend Micro disabled. If it's still okay - continue customizing with 3rd party firmware, etc. but only if you really need to. You have made too many changes at once it's hard to find what's wrong.

It doesn’t hurt to try things. In situations like router configurations if it doesn’t improve your situation reconfigure it.

Ultimately at the end of the day it’s your equipment to set it up however you like. Pro and cons with many situations if you’re comfortable with less speed and better latency great that’s your own prerogative. :)

Be hard to catastrophically mess up end user configuration in these routers, worst case you factory reset.

Now if this was DD-WRT if you sneeze or look at it the wrong way you might end up with electronic waste.

Maybe there is something between Bell's main hubs between Ottawa/Toronto and Timmins?
Yes - microwave relays. Unless they've finally run a Fibre trunk line up that way for residential customers, and connected it to the local distribution infrastructure, that'd be my bet as to where your issues stem from. Just a bet, mind, and only made with the loonies in my pocket rather than real money.

Maybe, but I have a printer, a NAS, a switch, an AP, etc. The stock bell router was a bit challenging with that, but something to test I suppose. As for the AX86U I bought it a year before I changed over to fibreop.
I would think you should be able to do this as it sounds pretty close to Centurylink. You should be able to configure your Actiontec to something like Transparent Bridge Mode. Then set your RT-AX86U to PPPoE and set your credentials that you had for the Actiontec router in the signon section. (I first set the VLAN in the Actiontec before I put it in Bridge mode). If this doesn't work you can try setting the VLAN on the router in - LAN -> IPTV -> Select Profile <scroll to bottom and pick Manual> Then specify the VLAN in the VID box. This way just makes the Actiontec a modem and moves ALL other functions (WAN/LAN/Router) to the RT-AX86U.

Forgot to mention that once the Actiontec is in Transparent mode the only way out (if you think you have to) is to do a factory reset on the Actiontec.

Forgot to mention that once the Actiontec is in Transparent mode the only way out (if you think you have to) is to do a factory reset on the Actiontec.
The Ax86u is only one. The actiontec r3000 is collecting dust. Turns out was not pppoe. Was something else. Just had to copy Mac over to Ax86u and manually put in vlan and worked.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!