What's new

AX86U Pro - "block internet access" limited to 16 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JG46

Occasional Visitor
My AX86U Pro will "block internet access" for devices that I specify. However, the feature is limited to a max of 16 devices, and would like to block access on 20 devices.

Is the "16" a hardware limitation of my router, or is it a limitation of my firmware (3.0.0.4.388_24199)?

Thanks!

This is usually a firmware limitation. They have to limit it to something since nvram (where the data is stored) is itself limited. IIRC, Merlin's firmware extends this to 32 devices. But even then, once you're using Merlin, it's a simple matter to implement your own blocking using a firewall script and get beyond even that limitation.

That's just another reason why so many ppl choose to use Merlin over the OEM firmware; it gives you more options.

or is it a limitation of my firmware (3.0.0.4.388_24199)

This model has three 3.0.0.6 firmware releases after this version.

Any reason you don't want to try the new Pro firmware for your Pro router?

Perhaps Guest Network Pro with Kid’s Network profile and Internet access time schedule. I’m surprised someone with Pro router has no interest in new Pro features, available for months already.

Is the "16" a hardware limitation of my router, or is it a limitation of my firmware (3.0.0.4.388_24199)?
Have you looked into the Guest Network Pro feature of the RT-AX86U Pro stock Asus 3.0.0.6.102_34314 firmware to see if it suits your needs for blocking or limiting users? Or have you looked into Asus-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 firmware? Or as indicated above, one might be able to use their own firewall script to add additional client blocking when using Asus-Merlin firmware.

Asus-Merlin indicates a max of 64 clients for the Time Scheduling on a RT-AX86U Pro3004.388.8_2:
RT-AX86U Pro Asus Merlin Time Scheduling.jpg

Thanks for the help. I will update to the latest factory the firmware and take a look. I've not previously used Merlin, so I'm just a bit intimidated by making the switch.

Really what I am trying to do is create a VLAN of sorts in order to quarantine certain devices. But I don't have VLAN-capable switches, and I'm not sure if the VLAN capability in the latest ASUS router firmware is up to the task.

Thanks for the help. I will update to the latest factory the firmware and take a look. I've not previously used Merlin, so I'm just a bit intimidated by making the switch.

Really what I am trying to do is create a VLAN of sorts in order to quarantine certain devices. But I don't have VLAN-capable switches, and I'm not sure if the VLAN capability in the latest ASUS router firmware is up to the task.
If you haven't done so already, see the Asus support documents on Guest Network Pro and VLAN which are found in the 3.0.0.6.x firmware.

RT-AX86U (non-Pro version) on Asuswrt 388_24243:

1724677195042.png

Seems like things changed from specific firmware version up.

You absolutely need to look into VLAN's as that is a lot of devices you don't want access to the internet. Your router has 3.0.0.6 for vlans: ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_34314

Asus sells smart switches now:

EBG15 and EBG19P can both operate as vlan aware aimesh nodes as well.

Seems like things changed from specific firmware version up.
Yes appears to possibly be hardware/router specific on how many clients are supported. On a couple of RT-AC68U's, one running Asus stock 3.0.0.4.386_51685, the other running Asus-Merlin 386.14, the Client List max is 16 for both.

Attachments

• RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.386_51685.jpg
    RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.386_51685.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 6
  • RT-AC68U Asus-Merlin 386.14.jpg
    RT-AC68U Asus-Merlin 386.14.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 6
On a couple of RT-AC68U's

Yes, not surprised. This model and multiple variants have limited NVRAM available. Last time I checked it was about 10KB free after clean boot on stock Asuswrt. The reason RMerlin reduced the number of VPN clients in Asuswrt-Merlin from 5 to 2 in 386.11 firmware.

If you haven't done so already, see the Asus support documents on Guest Network Pro and VLAN which are found in the 3.0.0.6.x firmware.
Thank you for the links. It's great news that ASUS is bringing more capability to their routers. Hopefully someone will do a write-up or a YT video on a VLAN implementation using ASUS router.

I can confirm that the "block internet access" limit up is 64 in the latest firmware (3.0.0.6.102_34314) for the RT-AX86U Pro . Thanks for your help.

I took a look at the VLAN functionality in the RT-AX86U Pro that is present in the latest firmware. As of now, ASUS has provided pretty sparse documentation (both on its website and within the firmware) about how it works. Hopefully, as the feature evolves and matures, more documentation will come out, and people will post online about how to use it. In the meantine, it's beyond me.

Yes information on Guest Network Pro settings and how to use it from Asus is a bit thin. There is the following video someone did that explains in general terms some of the features:

Beyond that Asus just has the various videos and links in the following for how to setup IoT, Kids, and a "Guest Portal" segmented networks.

What ever preconfigured option one uses there should, if I remember right, be the option (maybe in the Advanced settings section) to block internet access. If one has a number of network clients to block, just setup one of the Guest Network Pro entries, assign the clients to it, then block Internet access to that Guest Network Pro entry.

PS: Another video.

Thanks for the videos. That's the best info out there that I could find, but still too light on details for a noob like me.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!