What's new

AX86U Pro mesh nodes not connecting any WiFi clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Porkins_the_Rebelious

New Around Here
TL;DR: Anyone else solve for a pair of Asus RT-AX86U Pro routers where WiFi clients refuse to connect to the mesh node?

Fuller sitrep:

So for years my home installation provided strong seamless WiFi coverage through a pair of 2017-era Asus RT-AC86U routers. One in the downstairs wiring closet was set as "Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode" hardwired to the modem, and the other in "Access Point(AP) mode." The only thing between these routers is a simple unmanaged switch which feeds cable to various ethernet jacks around the house.

One of the AC86U routers died, so I replaced it with a current gen 2024 build date RT-AX86U Pro. WiFi mesh stopped working. Everything looked good - ethernet hard wired backhaul and all - but clients would never connect via WiFi to the mesh node.

I figured it was software version / incompatibility and the older router was on borrowed time anyway, so I got a another new RT-AX86U Pro to replace the other 2017 router.

Now I have an identical pair of the RT-AX86U Pros running the same current release of the software: v. 3.0.0.6.102_34313 dated 2024/05/28.

Same problem persists: mesh node doesn't ever connect WiFi clients. Mesh node clients that are hard wired connect fine and are identified as clients. WiFi clients just refuse to go to the node. Now I get a lot of spotty connections and constant drops because all WiFi clients are trying to connect through the downstairs wiring closet.

Stuff I've tried that didn't work:
  • reboots!
  • tinkering with decibel thresholds
  • forcing WiFi backhaul vs hardwired backhaul
  • turning off WPS and disabled 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode
  • turning off 802.11b
  • turning off "dual-band smart connect" in favor of 2.5Ghz and/or 5Ghz
  • Setting 2.5Ghz to 20Mhz and 5GHz to 80 Mhz
  • Disabling Auto select channel including DFS channels
  • Most of the WiFi clients are Apple iPhones and iPads. So I tried "forget this network" and disabling private IP addresses on the phones.
  • Found a couple of forum posts of various vintages but none have helped
  • Everything else is otherwise default settings
None of this has helped in the least.

Asus, what happened? I used to sing the praises of the AC86U but these new AX86U Pros appear to be trash.

Now I'm $C500 in on a pair of new routers with shirtty WiFi and unhappy children.

Any suggestions welcome.

I had the same problem, not with a PRO ,,but Asus AX86U (not S) .... it was originally Mesh Router and one day it just stopped connecting Wifi device included the AX86U node, wired clients worked though. I did everything I could until I decided to make the Node a new Mesh Router and the old Mesh Router a Node. Then I never make any change at all to my Mesh infrastructure except firmware update and restart ..etc.

Until now,,,I have no idea why the old Mesh router just gave up not to connect all wifi devices. Maybe time to upgrade since both have been running like 3 years :) or maybe not! :)

OK, you are using Ethernet backhaul. Cabled from router LAN port to AiMesh node WAN port (not 2.5 GB ports)?
Hard factory reset and reconfigure after upgrading to Asus 5.0 firmware (3.0.0.6.102_34313)?
AiMesh settings at default after adding the node?
Using WPA2-Personal? Note: 2.4 MHz at 20 MHz auto channel is a good start. 5 GHz at 80 MHz auto channel no DFS is also a good place to start.
Is your Ethernet cable used for backhaul CAT5e or better and tested?
It is possible your router and node are not far enough apart. Mine are about 30 FT apart but one on main floor and the other in the basement. I do not worry where my clients connect as long as they work well.

It is possible your router and node are not far enough apart. Mine are about 30 FT apart but one on main floor and the other in the basement. I do not worry where my clients connect as long as they work well.

Everything else you mentioned I already tried, per my initial post.

Base router is on the lower floor, and mesh node on the main floor which should also serve the top floor. In this exact configuration my old pair of AC86Us had no problem connecting clients seamlessly anywhere in the house. These new AX86U Pros don't seem to mesh well, lots of dropped connections, and clients on the upper floor refusing to switch from the basement to main floor router.

I'm thinking about setting up the mainfloor router as a managed access point and turning down radio strength on the base lower floor router. Not ideal but until mesh software works properly it seems it's all I got.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!