What's new

AX88U Firmware on AX56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

byyuan

Occasional Visitor
I've just got this new wifi6 compatible ASUS AX56U router. Finally getting strong 5GHz signal at 300MB/S.. but it seems it's not yet been supported by Merlin. Has anybody tried to load a AX88U firmware on AX56U? will it work??

I've just got this new wifi6 compatible ASUS AX56U router. Finally getting strong 5GHz signal at 300MB/S.. but it seems it's not yet been supported by Merlin. Has anybody tried to load a AX88U firmware on AX56U? will it work??
Neither supported nor legal.

Not supported, at least so far. I just got one too and hope it will be added to the list.

It was on sale at Newegg recently and sold out again, at $120 maybe it'll be the new budget pick?

Don't. Completely different hardware.

You can try but the consensus is that it will fail miserably. Ymmv

@sanke1, you can delete your own posts. :)

Not supported, at least so far. I just got one too and hope it will be added to the list.

It was on sale at Newegg recently and sold out again, at $120 maybe it'll be the new budget pick?
the AX56U is quite smooth, and i like the 2 sticks design, much simpler but quite powerful..

the AX56U is quite smooth, and i like the 2 sticks design, much simpler but quite powerful..

I don't know the price of this router, but it's maximum theoretical performance is similar to that of RT-AC66U, the first ASUS AC router from June 2012.

Mine failed, I sent it back for refund today.

While it worked it was no better than my 1900, not that I expected much at AC. I think I'll just wait and watch for a few months and try AX in the fall when I have devices that might benefit it. Thought newer technology might make it better than the 1900 somehow.

Edit: Prefer Merlin f/w too!

Last edited:
Mine failed, I sent it back for refund today.

While it worked it was no better than my 1900, not that I expected much at AC. I think I'll just wait and watch for a few months and try AX in the fall when I have devices that might benefit it. Thought newer technology might make it better than the 1900 somehow.

Edit: Prefer Merlin f/w too!
my iPhone 11 pro definately showed longer battery life with AX56U. And my mac (which doesn't support wifi6), is transmitting 1.5X faster than the 5GHz on my AC1900P - i'm assuming that it's due to higher transmitting power. but maybe i'm wrong

i'm assuming that it's due to higher transmitting power. but maybe i'm wrong

Newer WiFi radios have the same or even lower transmitting power (limited by local regulations), but increased sensitivity. That translates in "better range" and "higher throughput" in user experience. The router can communicate with the same clients from greater distances and achieve higher link rates on same distances, compared to older router models based on previous generations radio modules.

Reactions: Gar
I don't know the price of this router, but it's maximum theoretical performance is similar to that of RT-AC66U, the first ASUS AC router from June 2012.

not when comes to cpu it dont, ac66u has single core 600mhz chip that cap out around 100mbit with QOS on I should know it router I have it at the other house, the AX58U most definitively dont have such issue and is the router i looking to get for the NC house which currently has sagemcom Fast 5260 even the AC66U is better then this sagemcom when comes to loads

not when comes to cpu

You are correct. RT-AX56U (the model @byyuan is referring to) can run Adaptive QoS and AiProtection with no significant throughput penalty and has the advantage in providing similar speeds with more common upcoming 2x2 AX clients. To get 1300Mbps link speeds with RT-AC66U you had to have a 4x4 AC client, expensive and rare find. I see Newegg is selling open box RT-AX56U routers for $120 (new for $150), so the price is OK-ish for an entry-level AX router with expected at least few years firmware updates from ASUS.

You are correct. RT-AX56U (the model @byyuan is referring to) can run Adaptive QoS and AiProtection with no significant throughput penalty and has the advantage in providing similar speeds with more common upcoming 2x2 AX clients. To get 1300Mbps link speeds with RT-AC66U you had to have a 4x4 AC client, expensive and rare find. I see Newegg is selling open box RT-AX56U routers for $120 (new for $150), so the price is OK-ish for an entry-level AX router with expected at least few years firmware updates from ASUS.
i also got it for $120 on jd.com (new, https://item.jd.com/100010428508.html, page in chinese)
happy to send 1 to merlin if he needs.

Correct if I wrong but most isp cant even provide those speeds so those speeds are irrelevent to most people less they doing network transfers threw the router? are those speed total combined speed for all things wirlessly connected or per client ?

See I am in market for either AX58U or AX56U not sure if should go with quad core 1.5 ghz or tri core quad or go with one with more antenna which less cores. but need to get off this sagemcom fast 5260it is utter trash, moment there is any kind of load on router and that with out QOS cause router dont support it if it did it would nevever support 100mbit let alone 400+ whole network bogs down, and wifi range is questionable so signal at it extremes which really isnt that far, barely covers the whole house. 2ghz is barely push 25mbit at its end in same area 5ghz either work and connects or it dont, but if it does connect it does 150mbit.

I currently have 400 mbit that pushes 500mbit connection, wireless device get those speed in rooms next to router and litter farther out, but only on 5ghz never seeing 2ghz go past 100mbit really even if i was right on top the router. would like to make sure router can do 500+mbit and then some just fine with QOS on.

Last edited:
are those speed total combined speed for all things wirlessly connected or per client ?

The router class is a marketing trick, indicating the sum of total theoretical maximums in ideal conditions for all supported bands. RT-AX56U is marketed as AX1800 class router, up to 574Mbps on 2.4GHz + up to 1201Mbps on 5GHz = 1778Mbps maximum ever possible connection speeds. Real life situation is much different, usually far from what was advertised. Also, WiFi is half-duplex communication, so divide connection speeds roughly on half and this is what throughput you can get. For example, to push around 400Mbps throughput you'll need minimum 2x2 AC clients connected at maximum 866Mbps link speed (located close to the router). Also, the radio is shared by all connected clients (including the ones connected to AiMesh in dual band routers with wireless backhaul, including the ones connected to repeaters, etc.), so 400Mbps you may get to one single client only, if the others stay quiet. At the moment people with Gigabit ISP have a slim chance to see something closer to Gigabit over WiFi only with 4x4 AC client (1733Mbps link speed) or faster (AX) and only close to the router.

would like to make sure router can do 500+mbit and then some just fine with QOS on.

You may not need QoS on a 500Mbps ISP line, especially if the upload is also 500Mbps. Many consumer routers can't do 500Mbps with QoS enabled, not sure what's the situation with RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U, never had one in my hands to test it.

AX58U/AX3000 $159.99 @BestBuy

Good deal but probably not a "Hot Deal" candidate.