What's new

AX92U - LAN ports problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aherped

New Around Here
Hello,
First of all, sorry for my English.

I have a AX92U as single and main router, connected directly to the ONT with PPPoE.
I'm having problems with the LAN (wired) ports. Randomly but frequently (one or two times a day) the LAN ports gets disabled and nothing connected to them works. Surprisingly WiFi devices works fine and have internet.
I haven't found any way to solve this but rebooting the router. Then it works again until the next cut.
When it's not working, I can't connect to the router or any other elements of the net. I tried DHCP and Static IP and I try to change but nothing works but reboot the router.
I use Merlin software, the gnuton variant wich supports the AX92U. I've been using gnuton's merlin since two years more or less without any problems. Actually I'm using last version but I try downgrading to a version that I know that I was not having problems.
I tried two times to reset all the router config, last time minutes ago. I have no special config, basically all disabled but WireGuard and some port redirections. I have the WiFi enabled but Smart Connect Disabled. I had two custom scripts, one for DDNS and the ChkWAN.sh that is in the logs but now I haven't put them to try.

I have logs registered on my NAS so I can see when it cuts, when NAS can't register more logs, because it's wired and loses connection but the router's log continues logging.

I attached the syslog to the post
The last log registered by NAS is "Jun 30 01:51:51". When the date changes to May 5 (don't know why) is when I restart the router.
I don't know if anyone see anything, if there is a hardware problem or software. I'm confused because if it is software problem I don't know why it persists on router resetting and firmware downgrade. If it is hardware problem why it works on restart?.
I have two wires connected to the router, one comes from a switch that have connected my PC and the NAS. The other is from the TV. I thinked that the problem could be in the switch or the wire but when I have no conection, the TV neither and everything starts working if I reset the router from my mobile in web interface no touching the router.

Thank you very much to everyone that reads and try to solve this. I would like to understand the problem. I'm thinking to change the router for an AX-88U Pro but I'm afraid that this don't solve the problem.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    182.3 KB · Views: 19
Generally when you see the May 5th in the system log it means the router rebooted or was powered on. Its the date used by the firmware/router during the boot process until the router sets its time via NTP or similar from the internet.

As a troubleshooting step, may want to disable any addon scripts and see if the issue persists.

As always a last resort troubleshooting step is to remove the attached USB hard drive, then perform a hard factory reset of the router, then manually configure the router (do not import a saved router.cfg file) without reattaching the USB drive or adding the addon scripts. See if the issue shows itself in the basic stock setup. If it doesn't then you can start making changes. Testing along the way to see if one of your settings, or the addon script(s) are introducing the issue you are experiencing.

Hello,
First of all, sorry for my English.

I have a AX92U as single and main router, connected directly to the ONT with PPPoE.
I'm having problems with the LAN (wired) ports. Randomly but frequently (one or two times a day) the LAN ports gets disabled and nothing connected to them works. Surprisingly WiFi devices works fine and have internet.
I haven't found any way to solve this but rebooting the router. Then it works again until the next cut.
When it's not working, I can't connect to the router or any other elements of the net. I tried DHCP and Static IP and I try to change but nothing works but reboot the router.
I use Merlin software, the gnuton variant wich supports the AX92U. I've been using gnuton's merlin since two years more or less without any problems. Actually I'm using last version but I try downgrading to a version that I know that I was not having problems.
I tried two times to reset all the router config, last time minutes ago. I have no special config, basically all disabled but WireGuard and some port redirections. I have the WiFi enabled but Smart Connect Disabled. I had two custom scripts, one for DDNS and the ChkWAN.sh that is in the logs but now I haven't put them to try.

I have logs registered on my NAS so I can see when it cuts, when NAS can't register more logs, because it's wired and loses connection but the router's log continues logging.

I attached the syslog to the post
The last log registered by NAS is "Jun 30 01:51:51". When the date changes to May 5 (don't know why) is when I restart the router.
I don't know if anyone see anything, if there is a hardware problem or software. I'm confused because if it is software problem I don't know why it persists on router resetting and firmware downgrade. If it is hardware problem why it works on restart?.
I have two wires connected to the router, one comes from a switch that have connected my PC and the NAS. The other is from the TV. I thinked that the problem could be in the switch or the wire but when I have no conection, the TV neither and everything starts working if I reset the router from my mobile in web interface no touching the router.

Thank you very much to everyone that reads and try to solve this. I would like to understand the problem. I'm thinking to change the router for an AX-88U Pro but I'm afraid that this don't solve the problem.

First thoughts...

The May 5 date is you rebooting the router... this factory date will update once the router has booted fully and has Internet access.

The LAN issue sounds like a hardware problem (was working, then not working and difficult to isolate) related to the router LAN circuit/switch or the connected cabling or devices. Disconnect everything from the router LAN except a healthy short cable to a healthy LAN test client. See how that runs... could even reconfig the router to a minimal configuration to test without much else going on. And remind yourself that 99.99% of networking trouble is cabling... so you don't overlook the basics... inspect RJ-45 connectors/contacts/cables jackets for corrosion/damage/cat bites. etc. If the trouble was removed, slowly add back the LAN equipment one segment at a time until you find it.

OE

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the answers.
I tried a factory reset without any custom script and the problem is not solved, it happend again.
Now I tried a hard factory reset with I didn't know and minimal config.
Generally when you see the May 5th in the system log it means the router rebooted or was powered on. Its the date used by the firmware/router during the boot process until the router sets its time via NTP or similar from the internet.

As a troubleshooting step, may want to disable any addon scripts and see if the issue persists.

As always a last resort troubleshooting step is to remove the attached USB hard drive, then perform a hard factory reset of the router, then manually configure the router (do not import a saved router.cfg file) without reattaching the USB drive or adding the addon scripts. See if the issue shows itself in the basic stock setup. If it doesn't then you can start making changes. Testing along the way to see if one of your settings, or the addon script(s) are introducing the issue you are experiencing.
I have no USB plugged on the router, only two wires and Wi-Fi.

First thoughts...

The May 5 date is you rebooting the router... this factory date will update once the router has booted fully and has Internet access.

The LAN issue sounds like a hardware problem (was working, then not working and difficult to isolate) related to the router LAN circuit/switch or the connected cabling or devices. Disconnect everything from the router LAN except a healthy short cable to a healthy LAN test client. See how that runs... could even reconfig the router to a minimal configuration to test without much else going on. And remind yourself that 99.99% of networking trouble is cabling... so you don't overlook the basics... inspect RJ-45 connectors/contacts/cables jackets for corrosion/damage/cat bites. etc. If the trouble was removed, slowly add back the LAN equipment one segment at a time until you find it.

OE
Maybe it's a wire problem. It surprises me that suddenly makes the router have that problems... I think I would have micro-cuts or packets lost or event connection lost but that suddenly all the LAN ports stop working, no logs, and a reset makes all work again...
I have no other options so, if it continues I would think any way to test the cables and if not, I would think on changing the router.

Thank you very much.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!