What's new

AXE16000 10GE port can be used as WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stamzrat10

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

Could an owner of a axe16000 confirm something to me? I currently use an AX6000, which is limited to 2.5gbps WAN, I recently got a speed increase from my ISP to 4gbps.

I am considering this axe16000 as it is advertised to have 10gbps WAN connection. However, can anyone here confirm, that once I connect the router to a modem via the 10GE ports on the right, I could get higher speeds than 2.5gbps (again, my isp provides with 4gbps)?

I called ASUS themselves, one agent said it is limited to 2.5 gbps WAN (or 1+2.5 LAN aggregation, not relevant in my case). The other one said, that one of the righter hand 10GE ports could be used as WAN, I found no confirmation to it anywhere. I searched beforehand here in the forums, one user had a similiar situation, but after the ISP's modem he used a switch, and afterwards plugged the router. So I can't say for sure that it answered my question.

My ISP doesn't allow bridge mode, so in any case I am behind double NAT, if that's relevant to my question.

Thanks in advance

It should work, but you might need to disable features that would impact throughput, such as AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, AdaptiveQoS, etc...

Quickest way to do so is to go to the Privacy tab, and withdraw consent to TrendMicro. That will disable its engine.

Your LAN clients would also need to be connected to the other 10G port, otherwise they will get bottlenecked at the LAN level.

This information may have been changed since I setup my 16000.

I don't have my wan connected to the 10Gb port due to the wifi 6E had to be disabled, if the 10Gb port was used for wan.

I don't have my wan connected to the 10Gb port due to the wifi 6E had to be disabled, if the 10Gb port was used for wan.

This is weird. I see no connection between the two. Perhaps a firmware bug? The same behavior with stock Asuswrt?

I have the AXE16000 and 5Gb fiber internet. I have the 5Gb connected to the 10Gb port 1. When running speed tests thru the router itself I am getting the following: d/l - 3798.81 u/l - 3225.11. You have to go into the WAN / Dual WAN part of the setup and select which 10GB port 1 or 2 you want to use. I also had to set on my gateway to provide a pass-thru path for the router for it to connect to the internet. I am also running the ASUS-WRT firmware on it. I have several laptops connected the the router over the 6E WiFi with no issues at all. You will loose some of you bandwidth for the over head and not get the full 4Gb to the router. I also have link aggregation for 2 of the 1Gb ports turned on to a 24 port switch for a 2GB port.

Attachments

• router speed.txt
    266 bytes · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Could an owner of a axe16000 confirm something to me? I currently use an AX6000, which is limited to 2.5gbps WAN, I recently got a speed increase from my ISP to 4gbps.

I am considering this axe16000 as it is advertised to have 10gbps WAN connection. However, can anyone here confirm, that once I connect the router to a modem via the 10GE ports on the right, I could get higher speeds than 2.5gbps (again, my isp provides with 4gbps)?

I called ASUS themselves, one agent said it is limited to 2.5 gbps WAN (or 1+2.5 LAN aggregation, not relevant in my case). The other one said, that one of the righter hand 10GE ports could be used as WAN, I found no confirmation to it anywhere. I searched beforehand here in the forums, one user had a similiar situation, but after the ISP's modem he used a switch, and afterwards plugged the router. So I can't say for sure that it answered my question.

My ISP doesn't allow bridge mode, so in any case I am behind double NAT, if that's relevant to my question.

Thanks in advance
I have 5gbps FIOS. Previously, I had used AXE16000 as main router and was able get 5gbps up/down using the 10gb port as wan without any issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 41

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!