What's new

Aztech DSL7002GRV(S) -> Asus N56U? Improvement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yxpoh

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I currently have a Aztech DSL7002GRV(S) from my ISP. Due to the structure and my family's concern, a wired connection goes to my room via Aztech Homeplug 200Mbps.

My friends and colleague were saying how upgrading the router will help improve throughput but for my situation without doubt, upgrading the homeplug will also be required.

I was told and read that N56U being one of the best router, regardless of its feature, in its price range. So was thinking of changing as well.

With regards to the powerline, Aztech homeplug wasn't even in the list.
Is the Aztech series not up to standard or it wasn't tested?
I saw that 6010 from TP Link was given rather good review for it. However, I saw the 6030 that has 3 gigabit ports, which is favourable due to the multiple devices i have near my computer, resulting in the lack of need for a switch but that model is still not being reviewed from what i have managed to find.

Was hoping to get advices on what I should do or buy for my setup.

Main points:
- Will changing to N56U show a improvement, compared to my Aztech 7002?
- Will changing to TP Link 6030/6010 kit improve over my current Aztech 200Mbps?
- Can I choose 6030 over 6010?
- Priority is throughput, but if difference is not that much, 3 gigaport would be favourable as I have some inter-devices transfer I wish to do.

Thanks and sorry for the long essay.

I would not recommend upgrading to an RT-N56U. Minimum upgrade is the RT-N66U and better yet would be at least to an RT-AC56U (recommended is RT-AC68U).

The powerline Ethernet options really depend on your homes wiring, trying is the only way to find out.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...s-powerline-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-reviewed

Even the latest 1200Mbps don't really mean anything.

It's clear that the PLA5405 has the highest average throughput for both up and downlink. But with only 10 - 13% higher average throughput for 2X the cost, it's not a cost-effective choice.
TP-LINK's TL-PA6010KIT still seems the clear choice if you need a pair of HomePlug adapters today.

Thanks for your reply, L&LD.

2 questions:
1: Why would you not recommend N56U?
I don't really used much features and the only wireless users are my family members who are not really of concern of speed. Is upgrading from my current router to a N56U results to a not-so-much-improvement?

2: Is Aztech not tested here or its not really recommended?

Side Note: I think like you said, we will only know until we tried it. So I have decided to give the 6030 kit a try, especially since it seems to be using a similar design of 6010 except with the 3 gigabit ports.

Last edited:
On it's own, there is nothing wrong with the RT-N56U.

But vs. what is available today, and especially when found on sale, for the same or a slightly higher price the other routers offer more performance.

For example, the best bang for the buck would be the AC1200 class RT-AC56U when found for $100 or less.

But, a quick search on your router model gives this

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81365967-post56.html

So, if your ISP is SingTel, maybe just use what you have?

On it's own, there is nothing wrong with the RT-N56U.

But vs. what is available today, and especially when found on sale, for the same or a slightly higher price the other routers offer more performance.

For example, the best bang for the buck would be the AC1200 class RT-AC56U when found for $100 or less.

But, a quick search on your router model gives this

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81365967-post56.html

So, if your ISP is SingTel, maybe just use what you have?

Holy!... I didn't manage to find that post. Thanks.

so that means unless i go for something like AC66U or above, since AC56U doesn't seem to be sold in SG, I probably won't go anyway with N56U.
Is that correct?

Though that seems to be more on the signal strength which is not something I am prioritizing.

What would be a reason to try to upgrade to a better router?
I do not see myself attempting to do a vpn to my own router as of now.

Last edited: