What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.7.2 -Apr 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also, check on NAS what minimum and maximum SMB versions are enabled.

Correct concerning the md4 module. Only certain routers requires it.

I have one old NAS that I must connect via 2.1. 2.0 and 2.2 does not work. Yet another device is reverse, it must be set to vers 2.2. it all depends on your client that you are trying to connect to. What is the error you get when trying to manually mount the share?
Thanks for sharing that gives me hope that vers 2.1 or 2.2 could be the way to fix it :)

This is the error I get:

Code:
mount: mounting \\192.168.11.13\home on /tmp/mnt/backups failed: Operation not supported

Thanks for sharing that gives me hope that vers 2.1 or 2.2 could be the way to fix it :)

This is the error I get:

Code:
mount: mounting \\192.168.11.13\home on /tmp/mnt/backups failed: Operation not supported
Can you please post the mount statement you're using that gives you this error?

And the highest SMB version that the RT-AC68U gives you is v2.0, right?

I suppose the other workaround that might be possible here is enabling NFS on your Synology (if compatible), and utilizing that method?

Last edited:
Can you please post the mount statement you're using that gives you this error?

And the highest SMB version that the RT-AC68U gives you is v2.0, right?
Hi @Viktor Jaep, here is the screenshot from Putty.
1715180809043.png

That is correct RT-AC68U gives me v2.0. as per attached picture.

Attachments

• 1715181228395.png
    1715181228395.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 10
The SMB version supported by the router's Samba server has nothing to do with the SMB version supported by the CIFS client module. Do not conflate the two.
How do you determine what versions of SMB the CIFS client module can support?

Try
Hi @Viktor Jaep, here is the screenshot from Putty.
View attachment 58569
That is correct RT-AC68U gives me v2.0. as per attached picture.

Hoping this goes without saying, but did you change myname and mypass to the username and password of your account on your NAS?

I ask, as from the screen shot that you posted, it does not look like you did.

Yes, I did try with the actual NAS username and password, I got the same error message.
Unless there are any other ideas, I think you're at an impasse. The router only support a max of SMB v2.0. The Synology only supports a min of SMB v2.1. Unless there's some way to get your SMB stack to a higher version, your only option is to obtain a newer router. Alternatively, you could see if you can get NFS working, and see if your router and Synology can agree on that standard?

Yes, I did try with the actual NAS username and password, I got the same error message.

The only other thing I can think of is the username or password has a character that is being misinterpreted by the shell. More the username as Vic has already base64 encoded the password in the script.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!