What's new

Backyard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SingerWang

New Around Here
We just moved to a home outside of a city and I'm having a WIFI issue. The home is a large bungalow (a one story home) and I got my Router (ASUS RT-AC68U) at the middle of the home and the coverage awesome everywhere in the house.

However in the back yard where the BBQ and the pool is, there is no signal. We're in a money crunch as we just bought the place and moved in, so no major purchases for a a while. However I am thinking the following to make the WIFI work in the backyard on a shoestring budget. Does anyone have any better ideas?

At work we have some surplus Cisco AP541N (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/produc...eless-access-point/data_sheet_c78-566239.html) which are dual band single radio access points. I can get one for $50 easily.

I can use a Ethernet over Powerline Adapters (~$50) to get a network from the Router to a window near the backyard. Running TP cable is not possible. Hooking these up I can setup a 2.4GHz (or 5GHz, but I think the 2.4GHz will get me far more range).

What does people think? Is there any better ideas I can do for ~$100?

Question: you cannot reach the back yard on the 2.4 GHz from the router?

Question: you cannot reach the back yard on the 2.4 GHz from the router?

I'm pretty much in the out skirts of the city, so a lot of land. The house has old stone walls, so I think they do a number on the WIFI signal. So part of me wants to do put the Cisco by the Window.

The 2.4GHz goes some way into the back yard, but not 100%. I drew a rough drawing and attached it. The Star is where the router is relative to the home (so we can get 5GHz everywhere and etc). The dashed blue line is where the signal sort of dies.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 535
I'm pretty much in the out skirts of the city, so a lot of land. The house has old stone walls, so I think they do a number on the WIFI signal. So part of me wants to do put the Cisco by the Window.

The 2.4GHz goes some way into the back yard, but not 100%. I drew a rough drawing and attached it. The Star is where the router is relative to the home (so we can get 5GHz everywhere and etc). The dashed blue line is where the signal sort of dies.
It is out of my sector of expertise, but just as an idea to explore, can you simply install a RT-ac56U (~100$) and use it in Repeater mode (wireless) ?

Attachments

• RepeaterMode3.jpg
    RepeaterMode3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 284
With the EnGenius wouldn't I have to write a RJ-45 to the location? Or does it work as a extender? If its an extender, I'm kind of worried if it will cover the backyard as a whole.

A consumer AP does need a connection to the router. Either MoCA or IP on power wiring (home plug). There's a forum section on those.

Else you resort to a "repeater" a.k.a. "extender". It has to go into a place with good signal from the router. Then the coverage bubble from the repeater might extend to the back yard. This placement is difficult.

There are some "extenders" which aren't repeaters. They are an AP and Power Line IP all-in-one package. Not outdoor weatherproof.

A consumer AP does need a connection to the router. Either MoCA or IP on power wiring (home plug). There's a forum section on those.

Else you resort to a "repeater" a.k.a. "extender". It has to go into a place with good signal from the router. Then the coverage bubble from the repeater might extend to the back yard. This placement is difficult.

There are some "extenders" which aren't repeaters. They are an AP and Power Line IP all-in-one package. Not outdoor weatherproof.

Interesting, but what's the cost? I'm projecting the cost of $100 for the HomePlug + Cisco AP.. I figured that's a good option, is there anything bad with this plan?

Interesting, but what's the cost? I'm projecting the cost of $100 for the HomePlug + Cisco AP.. I figured that's a good option, is there anything bad with this plan?

Cisco 541 AP (old product, from when 11n was in draft state) isn't intended for outdoor use/weatherproof? So it goes indoors, and that's not outdoor-coverage-friendly. Unless you have somewhere protected to put it.

Normally, this AP goes up under the eaves but where the antenna can "see" the desired coverage area.

Last edited:
there are some routerboards and unifi APs that are compact, simple, reliable and inexpansive APs however there are other ways such as using better antennas/directional, placing an AP indoor just at the wall where the backyard is.

Some non consumer routers come with high transmit power that can reach all the way to your backyard. Consumer routers go up to 100mW commonly and up to 300mW for some whereas non consumer routers can reach above 1W transmit power easily. laptop wifi cards go up to 500mW i think but the amplifiers in those >1W APs should be able to pick them up.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online