What's new

Real life utility of SoC speed and RAM size in routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The CCP controls the default uboot and I care about security. Once replaced, I have no issue with the flint 2.

Whatever... you have your reasons, I'm sure, and like they say for infosec, only the paranoid survive ;)

I'll reach out to the GL-Inet folks to see if they can post their uboot source over on their github - they've done it for most of the other platforms they support - e.g. RAMIPS (MediaTek MIPS based), IPQ40xx, IPQ60xx (QualcommAX), MVEBU, Atheros MIPS, so it should be easy for them to import the source for their newer Mediatek uboot

it should be easy for them to import the source for their newer Mediatek uboot
As long it's fully open sourced. Broadcom's uboot code for instance contains proprietary code, so parts of it are released as binary blobs by manufacturers.

But that's Broadcom... The company that has put "PROPRIETARY" headers on various Makefiles of their SDK...

As long it's fully open sourced. Broadcom's uboot code for instance contains proprietary code, so parts of it are released as binary blobs by manufacturers.

But that's Broadcom... The company that has put "PROPRIETARY" headers on various Makefiles of their SDK...

true, even if there are binary blobs, they're likely safe - the Qualcomm IPQ60xx has blobs, but the source there is known... MediaTek should be similar here with their ARM uboot - the MIPS uboot is well known...

At least with MediaTek - home ROC vs the PRC...

I've been noted in the past - politics doesn't really have a place with tech, might be unpopular for some, but we must appreciate how folks can be very inventive when blocks are presented...

where is most of the interesting work in RISC-V happening these days - yes, in china due to sanctions - that will at some point bite everyone in the *ss

same goes with chip fabs - a lot of folks were surprised that Huawei did a 7nm mobile phone chip from SMIC with machines that were spec'ed out for 14nm - they found a different path, and it worked.

Not everything is stolen technology, and not all software is "backdoor" spyware...

I realize sometimes MediaTek gets a bum rap as they are one of the more common vendors over in the low-end mobile space from some questionable PRC based mobile phone vendors - but note that most of the issues there are not in the chipset or bootloader - it's in the applications and operating system as most are not stock Android but forks of AOSP with questionable local applications.