What's new

Bare-Bones Question About Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webwzrd

Occasional Visitor
It seems there is a whole lot of emphasis on speed, but I'm wondering how concerned I (and many of us) need to be about this.

Here's what I have: Wired - a home office with light computer to computer networking, and an Airave. Wireless: couple smartphones, couple tablets and a Google TV box, plus the satellite box is online. All are wireless N, some 2.4, some 5.0. My Internet is DSL with 10/1 speed with an aging Netgear DGND3300. Currently the Google TV stops for buffeting a little too often and that's really the prime reason for wanting to improve things.

So now the question about speed; Isn't my Internet streaming always going to be limited to my Internet speed? Are speeds of 300/450 of any real value to me? It just seems like that emphasis could be a waste of money and I wonder If I should focus on making sure the house has the best coverage and that the Internet speed loss is as minimum as possible.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Thank you, that's some good reading. I'm going to have to digest all of that.

Thank you thetoad30 - reading though that material has caused me to change my whole strategy. I now think the best way to get an adequate connection to my streaming TV devices is to use powerline adaptors. Although I knew about those before, I've been chasing the wireless dream.