What's new

Basic (?) Router Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zenbane

New Around Here
I am looking for a router for my new house network. My new house has 5 room drops w/ 3 Cat6 each 2 Cat6 Drops for WAPs. I have a Dell 5324 Powerconnect Switch which I plan to use for these drops. I am probably going to get Fios 50Mbit (if they have it in my area) and need a router as well as two WAPs. I would like to have one network just for streaming content from my UnRaid server to my TV's. Hopefully I can figure out how to create VLANs on the 5324 without too much trouble.

Given this, what router do people recommend for security and VPN access? I have checked out Zyxel routers they seem to have some nice firewall options. Looking to spend $150-$200. This does not need to be a wireless router (I have heard that WAP & Wired Router> Wireless Router). Please let me know what other information I can provide, thanks!