What's new

Hyperotpic router replacement - will it solve my problem with connection dropping!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ACME NoLiFe

New Around Here
Hi
I have recently changed from BT adsl to 1gb Hyperoptic in London UK. My Hyperoptic Nokia supplied router is connected with cat 7 cable to my xbox one x and cat 5e to my Mac Studio. I having a few problems and I wonder if they would be resolved by switching to a new 3rd party router.
1 Connection randomly drops for a few seconds throughout the day (MS teams freezes or game freezes)
2 Speed when checked on both Mac and xbox can vary incredibly. Sometimes reads up to 900 mbit upload and down load, other times only as high as 20 mbit!

I have tried power cycle the router and that sometimes helps, other times no difference.

When I rang Hyperoptic support they said:
1) only use cat 5e or 6 cable
2) I have too many wireless devices connected to my router. (I have a ring alarms and cameras, and also some lightwave power sockets and light switches connect to the wi fi)

Can this really be the cause of the connection dropping?

Any thoughts on what I should do.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Is it just one device or all devices experiencing connection drops? Speed tests fluctuations are due to traffic between you and the testing server.

Hi Greg
I really only notice it on my Macstudio connected via ethernet, my xbox connected via ethernet when gaming, and also my iPad sometimes when streaming Netflix

Turn off the wireless for a few hours. Does the issue go away for the wired devices ?
If it does, you may have to turn off all the wireless devices and then bring them back one by one to find the culprit or loading that is the issue.