What's new

Basic server-failover control

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tamasbalogh

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm on theory level atm - the goal would be to have some basic control over a local server failover.
Briefly what I'd like to achieve is, when my local transparent proxy (hanging simply among the LAN clients) would fail in any way, signal to the Asus router to not route Lan clients through the failed proxy, until it comes back.
The router is set to steer the clients to the proxy via policy routing and when such a proxy fail happened, simply clear these routing policies from the router's iptables. When the proxy is back, put the rules back.

For this I'm looking for a less-ugly solution and so far I could imagine this like having scripts on the proxy let's say in the ifup-down area, which scripts would ssh to the router and make the required changes mentioned before.

Question is if there is a better/easier/even-less-ugly method to achieve this? I'm not a big fan of ssh-ing from scripts somehow - I just found theses solutions not really nice, hence the question.

Thank you in advance!