What's new

Battery Powered Access Point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ikefu

New Around Here
I am looking for a small battery powered access point. Can anyone point me to one?

I need a battery powered device that I can plug in to an ethernet port to convert it to WiFi for connection via tablet. Power outlets are often not available and would also reduce its portability so battery powered would be ideal.

If you're curious, I'm an electrical engineer and need to connect to devices scattered around a factory environment to access their configuration web pages and download programming to them. It would be great if I could connect the AP, do my configuration, unplug the AP, and run over to the next device.

Thanks!

I am looking for a small battery powered access point. Can anyone point me to one?

I need a battery powered device that I can plug in to an ethernet port to convert it to WiFi for connection via tablet. Power outlets are often not available and would also reduce its portability so battery powered would be ideal.

If you're curious, I'm an electrical engineer and need to connect to devices scattered around a factory environment to access their configuration web pages and download programming to them. It would be great if I could connect the AP, do my configuration, unplug the AP, and run over to the next device.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean... you are near an ethernet port and you want to use it to create a WiFi coverage bubble for the tablet? Are you sure the factory's IT people will permit that for policy/security reasons?
If they do.. what you want is a small WiFi client bridge plus your own cable and battery, if the device uses 12VDC and you use a 12V battery (small). Or if the device takes 5VDC, you could use a 6V battery and put two diodes in series in the cable to drop the voltage.
Some travel router/bridges can do bridge mode for you and they're small/low power. Look for travel router with bridge mode option. Cradlepoint is one of many travel router vendors. These cost about $80.

Another choice is a WiFi hot spot from a cellular provider like Verizon. these are battery powered. Instead of Ethernet, you'd use the cellular carriers' service (and pay for it!).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!