What's new

BE96/98 updates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’ve only for the BE96, so I’m not seeing any updates yet. My boss says resetting the BE98 Pro fixed the speed and weird SSIDs issues for him, if that helps.

After updating the BE98 (main node) I saw some strangeness in the reported SSID for my BE88U and AXE1600 mesh nodes. It is reported as a very long hex string. The BE88U (in another building) did not want to connect clients to 5 GHz but works fine on 2,4 GHz. The AXE1600 worked fine apart from the reported hex strings. I removed the 1600 from the mesh and then tried to add it again....which does not work. Manual reset of the 1600, no change.

And now there is this text (in red) on the support page for the BE98:
"*Please be advised that due to an architecture upgrade in AiMesh, we highly discourage downgrading to earlier firmware versions as it may result in connectivity problems. If you experience any difficulties, we suggest resetting the AiMesh router to its default settings and re-establishing the mesh connection."

UPDATE: after a restart of the main node (BE98) and a *subsequent* factory reset of the 1600 I did manage to get the latter to rejoin the mesh! Still hex strings for the 5 GHz SSID's. Not touching the BE88U for the moment ;-)

Last edited:
Yep, I had the hex string SSID's and they've now changed to the MAC addresses of the radios... I need to factory reset and re-set the thing back up as that worked the last time this happened.

Asus added some information:

*Please be advised that due to an architecture upgrade in AiMesh, we highly discourage downgrading to earlier firmware versions as it may result in connectivity problems. If you experience any difficulties, we suggest resetting the AiMesh router to its default settings and re-establishing the mesh connection.

I removed the BE88U from the mesh and tried to add it again....many tries and resets later I finally got it added again. But still no 5 GHz on the BE88U when the main node is BE98 with the latest firmware.

Update: Factory reset and re-set my BE98 back up. Not quite seeing the full 930ish mbs download speed on my S24U, even on 6GHz 320MHz within feet of the router (it used to see the full bandwidth even in the next room) but that's still better than it was.

I've set up 4 separate networks:
- Main SSID (all radio's - used to be called Smart Connect)
- IOT network
- MLO network
- Guest network (disabled when not in use)

MLO looks like it works properly again after the factory reset and re-configuration.

I think the 'phantom' SSID's are for AIMesh which I'm not using, I think I'll try setting the backhaul to ethernet and see if that sorts those out when I get a chance.