What's new

Begginer Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SolArgenti

New Around Here
Hello,

I am sorta new to the whole Networking thing but I have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me?

I have set up a Home network. I have 2 computers wired in(only cause I get faster transfer rates between computers then) and I have 3 computers that are wireless. I am running just the stock router given to me by my ISP. I usually like to transfer movies from my computer room to my TV. What I have noticed is the speed is so slow that I cant even stream from one computer to another. I can transfer the file but it takes forever. If I transfer between the wired computers the speeds are exceptable. But from one wired to one wireless slower than dirt. Today I transfered a 700MB movie it took 7minutes. I then turned off my firewall and tried it again. The time moved up to 13minutes. So then I removed my wireless encryption and tried it again... it took 1min and 18sec. I know it is not good to run wireless with out an encryption, so my questions are these.

1) Is there a way to have no encryption but people not be able to surf with my band width?

2) if I buy a different wireless router will that make a difference and if so can you recommend a good one with fast transfer speeds. Price is not an issue.

3)or am I missing some setting in my router, like a firewall setting or port forwarding that will allow my network to communicate without encryption slowing it down?

Last edited:
If you are using 802.11n wireless, you must use WPA2/AES encryption or you will be limited to 802.11g speeds. No WEP, No WPA/TKIP.

If you are using 802.11n wireless, you must use WPA2/AES encryption or you will be limited to 802.11g speeds. No WEP, No WPA/TKIP.
Okay so I checked my router and it doesnt have WPA2-AES it has WPA2-PSK. What is the difference? Im thinking I should get a better router?

Okay so I checked my router and it doesnt have WPA2-AES it has WPA2-PSK. What is the difference? Im thinking I should get a better router?
PSK means Pre-Shared Key. You should select this option. Then look for a sub-setting to set AES only.

Awesome Tim! I switched to the setting you suggested, and sent the file again. This time it took 2min for 700MB. That is much better than 7! Thank you so much.