What's new

Belkin N1 Vision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sdeleeuw

Regular Contributor
Just regurgitating what I wrote as a review...

I bought the Belkin N1 Vision because I thought the screen was cool, I'm a sucker... After having it for an hour I realized it wasn't all that helpful, especially when I offload DHCP to a server vs. running it on the router, every host showed up as unknown. But that's not a problem with Belkin, it's a problem with all routers since the hostname is not stored in the DHCP database as that service is shut off, and shouldn't be a gripe on my part.

Anyway, hoping DD-WRT might do something cool with the screen I anxiously went there, but interest seemed to have fallen off and never went anywhere. Belkin does make their code available open source so if I was smart enough I could have done something with that. Again, not a gripe on the router.

On to the actual problems, after getting it I saw people were having trouble with IPSec. Luckily I was able to find a firmware on the Belkin UK site which solved that, strangely that firmware never appeared on the US site until a year later.

Things worked beyond great for a year, when one day it started the reboot of death. Reboot, get partially done, reboot again, repeat. Not knowing it had a lifetime warranty I bought the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, then noticed it had the lifetime warranty. So I sent it back in....

When it came back to me I was surprised it was a brand new one, but I had already fallen in love with the Buffalo for it's speed and reliability, so I gave this brand new router to my brother instead. A month later he calls me and says, "hey, this thing you gave me is just rebooting over and over again, did you ever see that?" Lifetime warranty is great, but not if you're switching it out monthly.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online