What's new

Benefits of Padavan FW over Asus FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tigerman82

New Around Here
I recently bought Asus N56U to replace a broken Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 I couldn't revive. I almost bought N66U but decided it was an overkill inside a studio apartment. One thing that drew me towards the N66U was the possibility of using custom firmware. Most of my computers are Apple and I've read (and even experienced) problems with routers working perfectly with Macs (especially OS X and its Bonjour have been troublesome to non-Airports). Therefore I wanted the option to use another firmware that would help with possible problems.

While I cannot flash custom firmwares like the renowned Merlin FM to it, I was glad to read that this Padavan FM has also got rave reviews. However, while it seems quite clear with N66U that you should use e.g. Merlin FM over Asus FM, I'm a little unclear if I should flash the Padavan FM if I don't have problems with Asus FM. I'm currently running Asus FM Version 3.0.0.4.360 and have had zero problems.

Currently, I've connected a 802.11g-laptop and a Wifi-scale over 2.4GHz WLAN and a 802.11n iMac, an Android phone and an iPad (4th gen) over 5Ghz
WLAN. I've connected a PVR, a MFP and a BD player over cable to the router.

Could someone please explain me the benefits of Padavan FM and especially its added features. While I am a bit tech-savvy, I don't care for the advanced features (have no idea what e.g. VPN is and what to do with it). However, I would be interested in features that e.g.

• disable the LEDs
  • save power (can the router be programmed to switched off at nighttime or something)
  • give me more information about my network
  • add speed (I've heard that USB-speeds over WLAN are not that great)

Does the Padavan FM offer these features (and others that might be useful to me)? Is it as clear with e.g. Merlin FM and N66U that I should just flash the Padavan FM to my N56U?

from the top of my head, padavan advantages are;
faster boot, settings change without reboot, built in transmission(latest), built in iptv via upnp, entware, FTP read speed up to 26MB/s(SMB 23MB/s) way faster than stock, guest network. thats what i could think of now. but it never hurts if u give it a try, reflashing to stock is absolutely possible.

Last edited: