What's new

Best AP with N, 802.1q, POE, and Multi-SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ottoguy

New Around Here
Looking for an AP with the qualifications in the title; N (2.4Ghz needed, 5Ghz is a bonus), 802.1q ability, powered by POE, and multiple SSID. Range is somewhat important because I hope to be able to see the signal outside my house on the deck.

I'm not looking for a router as I already have a router and switch combo that I like. Just looking for a dedicated AP. Price should be under $200 preferably.

I was looking at the D-link DAP-2360, but it is only on firmware version 1.0 which scared me a bit. Has anyone used it?

I like the Cisco products. The 321 looks like the ticket. Think I will wait a few weeks to see if anyone reviews them since they look pretty new.

Working on a review that will post later today or tomorrow. Looks pretty decent. Note that the WAP321 does not come with a 12v power wart since it is tageted at PoE users.

This looks like it could be exactly what I was looking for as well. I don't have a need for the portal feature, and 4 SSID's are plenty for me, so I'm very interested in the cheaper WAP121. Were you able to review one of these as well? If so, did it have the same performance as the WAP321 in the 2.4GHz band?

Have not tested the WAP121. It uses a different Broadcom SoC and two vs. three antennas. So performance will be different. Can't say better or worse until tested.

Hi does the Cisco WAP321 do simultaneous dual band?
and do any Cisco business AP like Aironet?

Hi does the Cisco WAP321 do simultaneous dual band?
Look at the name of the product.

Cisco WAP321 Wireless-N Selectable-Band Access Point with PoE.

Yes to the second question. Research on Cisco's website.

Yes. The Aironet 1252's I use are simultaneous dual band, support 16 SSIDs, and so on.

Aside from configuring IOS (which can be terrifying if you're not used to it), the main problem with this class of gear is that Cisco nickels and dimes you to death - Antennas? Extra cost. Mounting bracket? Extra cost. Power injector? Extra cost (this last one is understandable). Software updates? Extra cost.

You can save some by buying used. Just make sure you know what you're buying, since the sellers generally don't. That does create some bargains, though - I picked up a couple of "not working - for parts" ones for under $100 each because someone had loaded the Lightweight software on them and the seller thought they were broken because the console ports didn't respond.

Hi,

Thanks for the reminder.

Your review conclude to the outdated design at the time (2010) since then, the newer WNDAP360 is available : do you think it's somewhat less flawed ?

Or do you firmly recommend the Cisco WAP321 over it ?

Popal

Your review conclude to the outdated design at the time (2010) since then, the newer WNDAP360 is available : do you think it's somewhat less flawed ?
I have no way of knowing unless I review the product, sorry. Won't happen in the near future.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!