What's new

Best approach to improving wireless connection to my network ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

satwar

Occasional Visitor
I'm having trouble punching wireless router connections through old plaster walls in my house to various laptops.

Am I correct in thinking that a wireless bridge to my ethernet port is theoretically superior to using a USB wireless adapter, for improving the quality of my wireless connection ?

I'd say that a wireless bridge could possibly be made to have higher power and a more optimum antenna which would make it have a better connection than a USB network adapter. My Engenius USB adapter is pretty powerful with a lot of range using even it's stock antenna.

Am I correct in thinking that a wireless bridge to my ethernet port is theoretically superior to using a USB wireless adapter, for improving the quality of my wireless connection ?
No. There is nothing inherently inferior about USB wireless adapters.

The difference in performance from adapter to adapter are more due to chipset used and antenna configuration.

The Ethernet-connected wireless bridge does have the advantage of a longer cable length than USB. This gives you more flexibility in physical placement.