What's new

Best N router for IOS devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Al Thumbs

Occasional Visitor
Ladies and Gents,

We have three iPads, two iPhones and an Apple TV2 in the house. Specifically:

iPad 2
iPad Mini
iPad Mini with Retina Display
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
Apple TV2

No more than three of them are on-line at any one time. Except for the Apple TV, we are checking mail and looking at web sites.

We have broadband cable internet access with a Motorola Surfboard modem. The current router is a Linksys WRT54G. Lately the Linksys drops a device now and then. Mostly, though, our service is solid throughout the house.

I'd like to move to an N-Router to serve these ciient devices. There is the likelihood that one of the iPhone 4s will be replaced with a 5S, but these are N-clients also, to my knowledge.

I'd like to get a router that will be optimum for these devices, but not to buy capacity I cannot use. I hope for a dependable "set-up and forget" router, that, once put into service, will just work without attention. I am willing to spend what is necessary, but not to spend more than I need to.

Can you recommend a modem that will do the job? Thanks for providing your valuable experience.

Many thanks.
Al Thumbs.

I use both the Linksys EA4500 and the Asus RT-N66U. Apple products in my house or frequently in house are.....iPhone4s, iPad2, ipad mini (non retina), and Apple TV (newest). All those Apple products work great with either router.

There was a time that I would have really recommended the Asus, but I can't anymore. The EA4500 and Asus Rt-N66u are nearly identical in wireless range with their latest firmware. Asus really dropped the ball and reduced the range on the n66u. Asus fanboys keep claiming that Asus is going to fix the range problem but it's been months now with no update. The Asus has better wireless throughput.....which might be relevant if your ISP speed is greater than 50 Mbps download speed or you do a lot of wireless samba transfers to a NAS. But the EA4500 has much better read/write speeds if you plan on plugging in a USB drive to the router.

If you're a router geek, you'll want to get the Asus, but otherwise take a look at prices and go for the best deal.

There's only two disadvantages to the linksys EA4500
1. It doesn't support third party firmware (important if you're a router geek)
2. It doesn't support reverse NAT (possibly important if you have a home server or IP security cameras etc...)

Last edited:
I'm using a $35 ASUS RT-N12 for iPad, iPhone and Windows things, along with non-PC things.

provides far more speed than my 15Mbps ISP cable modem link.

Ladies and Gents,

We have three iPads, two iPhones and an Apple TV2 in the house. Specifically:

iPad 2
iPad Mini
iPad Mini with Retina Display
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
Apple TV2

No more than three of them are on-line at any one time. Except for the Apple TV, we are checking mail and looking at web sites.

We have broadband cable internet access with a Motorola Surfboard modem. The current router is a Linksys WRT54G. Lately the Linksys drops a device now and then. Mostly, though, our service is solid throughout the house.

I'd like to move to an N-Router to serve these ciient devices. There is the likelihood that one of the iPhone 4s will be replaced with a 5S, but these are N-clients also, to my knowledge.

I'd like to get a router that will be optimum for these devices, but not to buy capacity I cannot use. I hope for a dependable "set-up and forget" router, that, once put into service, will just work without attention. I am willing to spend what is necessary, but not to spend more than I need to.

Can you recommend a modem that will do the job? Thanks for providing your valuable experience.

Many thanks.
Al Thumbs.

If you're primarily Apple iOS based - answer is pretty straight-forward - get an Apple AirPort Express or Extreme... my recommendation would be the AirPort Express - more than enough bandwidth, and it supports AirPlay to a set of speakers (speakers that support line-level inputs at least).

The management app on iOS is worth the trip...

Check Apple's refurb store... some good prices there.

sfx

If you're primarily Apple iOS based - answer is pretty straight-forward - get an Apple AirPort Express or Extreme... my recommendation would be the AirPort Express - more than enough bandwidth, and it supports AirPlay to a set of speakers (speakers that support line-level inputs at least).

sfx

I agree. The AirPort Extreme would be a good choice. A single band router such as the $35 Asus RT-N12 would be a poor choice especially since you've probably already invested at least $2000.00 in iPhones,iPads and Apple TV. iPads and Apple TV can use both 2.4 and 5 ghz as does new iPhone 5s. 5ghz is very beneficial for reducing your risk of interference in present or future.

Last edited:

sfx

Since I originally posted, I have been checking out my internet connection speed. Hardwired directly to the cable modem, I get about 59mbps download and 12mbps upload. Would the Airport Express meet or exceed that speed?

The AE is certainly a minimalist design! It has no external antennae. Does that restrict its range?

I have an older AE parked at the stereo to feed music from the iMac into it.

AT

Since I originally posted, I have been checking out my internet connection speed. Hardwired directly to the cable modem, I get about 59mbps download and 12mbps upload. Would the Airport Express meet or exceed that speed?

The AE is certainly a minimalist design! It has no external antennae. Does that restrict its range?

AT

Since you're already 59/12, I suggest Airport Extreme 6th Gen keeping in mind any future ISP speed upgrades and 802.11ac support.

I use Airport Express as a travel router.

Since you're already 59/12, I suggest Airport Extreme 6th Gen keeping in mind any future ISP speed upgrades and 802.11ac support.

I'd love to have the Airport Extreme, but it's $200. And it goes against the philosophy presented in the Basics section of SNB, which is not to buy more router than you need at the moment.

The Airport Express can be had for $75 as a refurb.

Thanks!
AT

AT

Range is fine... the whole internal vs. external debate for antennae is fairly moot - most folks don't change change them, and a properly designed internal antenna is just as effective.

Again, one of the upsides to going with the AE is the iOS app support...

Compared to the older models, the current AirPort Express is dual band, and does have better range.

sfx