What's new

Best router for my needs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fahim

New Around Here
Hi, thanks in advance to everyone who will help out

I'm looking to buy a good router, which will allow me to stream to my tv, and allow my desktop, two laptops, iphone, wireless printer and usb printer to interact smoothly. Having a second usb port is cool, but i can easily just go back and forth between printer and external hd, i don't require heavy backupping.

I want to use the default settings, no flashing or other stuff.

Anything under/around 200$ is fine by me, but i hate paying too much when it's not necessary.

The 66U, E4200v1/v2, and the netgear n900 seem to meet my needs.

I was going to buy the E4200v2, but everywhere i read that its mostly the same as v1, if not slower... So should I just buy the v1 and keep 80$ to buy some brewskis ?

The 66U seems to be very popular, but I see alot of people talking about flashing it as being a main advantage.. which I don't need. Would I be better off with the 66u ?

Regarding the netgear, i see some places saying its better (of course "better" is relative) than E4200 and others saying its less good. Thoughts ?

EDIT: My internet connection is currently 15 mbit, but I plan to upgrade it to 60/120 mbits
My place is 60x60 ft more or less, the router is at the center point.

Last edited:
In general, people do not respond to these "What should I buy" posts because there is no correct answer, i.e. no "best". All routers have strengths and weaknesses.

All the products you named will work for what you want, although I would not bother with draft AC products at this time and let them mature.

Buy from a retailer that has a flexible return policy, pick one and try it. If it doesn't work out, return and repeat.

Hi, thanks in advance to everyone who will help out

I'm looking to buy a good router, which will allow me to stream to my tv, and allow my desktop, two laptops, iphone, wireless printer and usb printer to interact smoothly. Having a second usb port is cool, but i can easily just go back and forth between printer and external hd, i don't require heavy backupping.

I want to use the default settings, no flashing or other stuff.

Anything under/around 200$ is fine by me, but i hate paying too much when it's not necessary.

The 66U, E4200v1/v2, and the netgear n900 seem to meet my needs.

I was going to buy the E4200v2, but everywhere i read that its mostly the same as v1, if not slower... So should I just buy the v1 and keep 80$ to buy some brewskis ?

The 66U seems to be very popular, but I see alot of people talking about flashing it as being a main advantage.. which I don't need. Would I be better off with the 66u ?

Regarding the netgear, i see some places saying its better (of course "better" is relative) than E4200 and others saying its less good. Thoughts ?

EDIT: My internet connection is currently 15 mbit, but I plan to upgrade it to 60/120 mbits
My place is 60x60 ft more or less, the router is at the center point.

Sounds like you're good to go...

Enjoy the brewski's...