What's new

Best router for OpenVPN (using Merlin)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HammerTime

New Around Here
Hi All,

My understanding is that the CPU is the bottleneck for VPN.

Please help me pick a new router with enough processing power for internet browsing, Voip telephone and streaming movies over VPN, preferably using Merlin. I will be using Ethernet, so the wireless speed is not too important. My internet speed without VPN is 59 Mbps.

I have narrowed it down to the following routers. Am I missing any, and which is best?
  • Netgear R7500 (Qualcomm 1400 MHz dual core)
  • Asus RT-AC87U (Broadcom 1000 MHz dual core BCM4709)
  • Netgear R7000 (Broadcom 1000 MHz dual core BCM4709)
  • Asus RT-AC56U (Broadcom 800 MHz dual core BCM4708)
The AC56U obviously has the weakest CPU, but I include it just in case it is good enough, because it is not hideously ugly. I am not sure if Merlin will work on the Qualcomm.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention: I will be streaming video to an Android device.

Someone on SNB Forums commented that OpenVPN servers on Netgear routers do not support Android devices. Is that true if the firmware is replaced with Merlin?

Overclocked my AC56U to 1200mhz, and stays around 60C of temperature.
L2TP, connected to a server 3000 miles away, getting 28mbps. Latency 124ms which is excellent for VoIP, Netflix strems easily in UltraHD.
Don't do OpenVPN! L2TP is a lot faster on routers!

Go for the AC56U. Unless there will be a big change in router CPUs they are all the same for now.

Edit: I suggest using Merlin on 1st router, DD-WRT on the VPN router. It's faster and almost no Voip disconnections.

Hi All,

Please help me pick a new router with enough processing power for internet browsing, Voip telephone and streaming movies over VPN, preferably using Merlin. I will be using Ethernet, so the wireless speed is not too important. My internet speed without VPN is 59 Mbps.

I have narrowed it down to the following routers. Am I missing any, and which is best?
The AC56U obviously has the weakest CPU, but I include it just in case it is good enough, because it is not hideously ugly. I am not sure if Merlin will work on the Qualcomm.

Thanks!

Until you upgrade to >60Mbps, RMerlin's post regarding VPN throughput/performance may be relevant - given that VPN streaming will be your limiting bottleneck unless you use SMART DNS etc.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/slow-openvpn-on-ac87r.24490/#post-183330

Aesthetics aside, the RT-AC56 is considered the sweet-spot for bang-per-buck (I believe CPU is identical to the RT-AC68U?), but for greater WiFi coverage and upgraded ports (2x3USB ports on the RT-AC68U etc.) then the choice is yours for more 'oomph' from the higher end models.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks!

If you do end up leaning towards the NG products, use the 7000. Not the 7500.

Just a couple of notes (sorry if I missed them above with a quick read):

The Best Buy RT-AC68P ('P', not 'U') model has a beefier processor.

What is the up / down speed? If 59Mbps for both, then you need the best you can afford. If the upload is much lower, then even the (excellent) RT-AC56U may be enough (and yes, it does have the same hardware except for number of antennae and streams as the RT-AC68U).

the AC56 overclocked will suit your needs - I know it can do greater than 35mbit/s but don't know how much more because my line max is 35. the AC68 (which I use) has the same CPU but better wifi. first, however, you should test speed to your VPN server on your computer. make sure that your ISP isn't throttling VPN connections. if they are you'll think it's the router that's slow but it's just the throttling.

Thanks for all the great info!

I was not aware of the Best Buy RT-AC68P. It has the same 1000MHz dual-core processor as the RT-AC87U, so it is a great choice over the RT-AC68U.

I get the impression that Asus is better than Netgear at VPN, so that leans me away from the excellent R7000.

I am going with the RT-AC56U because it can run Merlin, it has the same 800MHz dual-core processor and speed as RT-AC68U, it can be easily overclocked if I need extra oopmh, and it is dirt cheap compared to the others.

There are better Asus routers in the pipeline, so I do not want to pay extra for a model that is marginally better that the current bargain leader RT-AC56U, which is currently under $100 every day with no coupons, rebates, etc.

Last edited: