What's new

Best settings for ASUS AC68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil_wifi

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

do you habe and recommendations for best performance router settings?

We have several clients, do not game or VOIP, except Skype and FaceTime. I plan to attach external HDDs to the router soon for backup.

Any thoughts?

Philip

Will your Hard Drives be USB or Ethernet (Gigabit) connections?

I have two Western Digital 1TB My Book Live drives connected via Gigabit Ethernet connections to my RT-AC68U; one is strictly for backup and the other functions as DLNA and iTunes servers. From reading the forums, USB might be problematic, but Ethernet connections seem rock solid.

I have RT-AC68U as well and only thing I have changed is QOS and adjust Wi-Fi transmit power to match my environment needs.

Default firmware was buggy for me so I changed merlin alpha version for this version.

do you habe and recommendations for best performance router settings?
Hi,

After expermenting a lot with my AC68U router - was used the first 3 months the Access Point (AP) to not harm the stability of my Network - I have tree golden rules: :rolleyes:
  1. Use Default Settings
  2. Keep Default Settings
  3. Revert Back to Default Settings

This is based on my hours of experimenting and basically coming back to Default Settings! :)
Seriously: I had never the need for some tweaking, nor I did understand that somebody else had the need.

Often people tune the WLAN power or WLAN configuration (Professional tab), but I did not see evidence that things got better.
The only important thing to find out (via your SmarPhone, Tablet or InSSIDer) how much other WLANs are in your area to choose a less busy 2.4 GHz Channel. For the 5 GHz ist's not needed as the implemenation of DFS Support will take care about it (make sure it stays enabled)!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Joe! I'm asking because my old router had QOS activates by default an stuff like WMM (or what it's called) too. Switching them off made surfing faster.

How about changing DNS though? I used namebench to find a faster DNS but I am not sure if it actually works better. Especially since I sometimes experience loading issues of a few seconds, 15-30.

Thanks Joe! I'm asking because my old router had QOS activates by default an stuff like WMM (or what it's called) too. Switching them off made surfing faster.

How about changing DNS though? I used namebench to find a faster DNS but I am not sure if it actually works better. Especially since I sometimes experience loading issues of a few seconds, 15-30.

Be advised disabling WMM will turn your expensive AC router into a old G router. If you need to disable WMM to get the proper speeds you have other network issues that are not correct.

I have RT-AC68U as well and only thing I have changed is QOS and adjust Wi-Fi transmit power to match my environment needs.

Default firmware was buggy for me so I changed merlin alpha version for this version.

Can you explain what you mean by adjusting your transmit power to match your environment? I understand that more is not always better...but how do I discover what the optimal settings are?

Thank you in advance.

but how do I discover what the optimal settings are?

From experimenting and checking your wireless signal strength and rates.

inSSIDer and Lan Speed Test you can use for testing on a PC, WiFi Analyzer for Android.